compressed SAUM loads.

trucraft

I have no experience of compressed loads so want to put it out there to you'all
who might.

I have been loading some rounds for load development and seem to be compressing the powder not far off my starting load.
Is this an issue and if not when does it become one?

I'm using virgin Norma 300 saum necked to 7mm
H1000, Hodgden data is 63 - 67grn
Nosler Accubond 160grn
COAL 2.875 @ 0,010 off the lands.

Hodgen say max load is a compressed load but i started to slightly compressing powder at 64grns and at 65.8 the COAL seems to have increased by 0.005 so I stopped.
I did add a straw to my powder funnel to help fill the cases but is still full to the neck shoulder junction.

I have RL 25 and Vit560 but really what to try h1000.
I also understand that Norma brass has a little less capacity but shorely not that much less?

I can't remember witch of my load is compressed.

162 A-max and H4831 or H1000 or Retumbo but all shoot very well

In Rem brass 65grs of H1000 is max load for me and good for 3050fps out of a 29'' tube

You can try another thou of neck tension, but remember that it will increase pressure a lil by doing so. That should help prevent the powder from pushing your bullets back out, but if you're getting compressed loads that early, it's hard to say if it's worth it.

I had this issue with my Nosler 300 SAUM brass. Quite a bit less case capacity than my Rem brass, and hit pressure WAY sooner than I was expecting. Even though I wasn't running compressed loads at all.

If you're in already getting compressed loads that low, I'd try the H1000 and see what happens.
I'm using RL17 in mine and am considering testing the RL33 that I have as well.

Not such good news that you got early pressure signs with Norma brass c_bass, I have only heard good things re Norma till now.

I will shoot these rounds and see how they look. At least the Accubonds shouldn't be too sensitive to seating depth so I dought I will need to seat deeper. I actually have them 0.020 off the lands at the mo so could push them out a little.
Promising that your getting over 3000fps with 65grns Salar.
I think I will start loading my 168 Berger with the Vit N560 as that max load is around 60grns so will give me plenty of space to properly carry out Berger's recomendered seating test.

Thanks guys.

Not such good news that you got early pressure signs with Norma brass c_bass, I have only heard good things re Norma till now.

I should clarify because what I found was not something to steer people away from Norma brass at all. What I found was pressure signs sooner than Rem brass.
Due to the smaller case capacity.

Not really a big deal, because I was getting equal velocities with less powder...but the fact remains that you need to be careful working up loads.
A max charge in Rem brass, will probably be WAY TO HIGH in something with smaller actual case capacity.
It's still very good brass, and there is no reason you can't get equal performance, but you just need to know it's different.

I should clarify because what I found was not something to steer people away from Norma brass at all. What I found was pressure signs sooner than Rem brass.
Due to the smaller case capacity.

Not really a big deal, because I was getting equal velocities with less powder...but the fact remains that you need to be careful working up loads.
A max charge in Rem brass, will probably be WAY TO HIGH in something with smaller actual case capacity.
It's still very good brass, and there is no reason you can't get equal performance, but you just need to know it's different.

That's a good point and I probably wouldn't have thought about it till now. All my book data is based on Remy brass.
I will be scrutinizing my cases during testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.