338RUM Retumbo compressed loads??

Snowrun

I am loading up some rounds for my rifle(BrowningA-bolt/PacNor 28" bbl) while it is at McMillan for stock fitting. I am using Nosler brass & 250grain Accubonds. Hodgdon's online load data goes from 95-101 grains. Loads are compressed at starting charge of 95 grains & quite compressed at 97. I haven't gone any further. I know I will get a bit more space after fire forming but how much? I'd hate to have to burn up barrel life fire-forming & the Cream of Wheat method sounds like a bit of a mess. Appreciate any advice.
I should add that I have H4831 & H4350 on hand should I switch to 225grainers or I may have to try to find 300grain bullets for the Retumbo??

Confused?

If your rifle is gone what are you shooting the rounds through?

I can't see cram of wheat unless you're forming from one case to another.

95 grains of Retumbo behind any of the bullets mentioned will be enough pressure to form virgin cases to a specific chamber.

Maybe I'm not getting your question???

Have not shot the rifle yet, just loading for when it arrives. I'm wondering if Retumbo is going to be a viable option for 250ABs. I get that the brass will be formed once fired, I just don't want to eat up barrel life fire forming unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks

It appears that you are leaning towards the lighter 338 offerings.

Possibly 4831 & 4350 will work with them. I have limited experience with them as I'm one of those that feels 300 class offerings bring the 338 RUM into its own.

Retumbo is a typical powder choice. However, for me a case full of H -50 BMW was better w/300s.

I use the 250 Accubonds in my 338RUM with a max load of H1000. I do not use compressed loads but have experimented with them. I have noticed that compression causes inconsistent seating depths and how do you judge how much compression you have anyway?
Heavily compressed loads seem to be universally frowned upon.

Thanks Roy
I do see the downrange benefits of 300 grain rounds but am wondering if I could mag feed. I'm guessing they need to be seated long for best performance? I just might have to play with "all of the above" & see what shakes out. Appreciate the tip on the H-50

Thanks VH- What is your max load with H1000? Hodgdon shows 98grains(compressed). I really am not comfortable with compressed load either, especially mag fed as I would guess recoil could help that bullet start to migrate away from the compressed powder.

I've been using 98 grains of H-1000, Federal 215 primers, Nosler brass, and seated to cycle through the magazine with good results.

I shoot the same load as HARPERC but with rem brass ,but for the long stuff and there single fed, I use the 250 Berger 10 thou off with 97 grns of H1000 very good .

Thanks for the recipes! I've been keeping my eyes open for H1000 but no luck yet. It seems to be showing up sporadically on-line so maybe there is hope for my local shops.
Hopefully McMillan will be quick & I can get to work on this.

Thanks VH- What is your max load with H1000? Hodgdon shows 98grains(compressed). I really am not comfortable with compressed load either, especially mag fed as I would guess recoil could help that bullet start to migrate away from the compressed powder.

I'm running 96gr of H1000 with a Fed 215M primer in a Rem case. Velocity is 2,925 ft/sec. This is a max load in my rifle. Shoots into just over an inch at 300yds in a match barreled rifle.

The same load also shoots very well with the Berger 250 Elite Hunter bullet.

In RP brass
250 Nosler AB
98.6 Retumbo
CCI 250
3.635" in Rem 700

225 AB ( Favorite) recoil is less than 250s not compressed 3100 FPS
H1000 @ 97.5
CCI 250
3.635" in Rem 700

Another good load is 230gr Fail Safe H1000 at 96.0 ...........1/2" groups at 3000 fps
And IMR 7828 @ 93.0

Overall length has a BIG effect on pressure. Seat the bullet to sami specs and you will pressure up, seat close to the lands and you will pressure up. I seat to magazine length - at 3.670 and I run 90 gr of H-1000 with a 300 gr Berger OTM at 2775, 97 gr H-1000 with 225 Accubond at 3250. I am currently playing with 300 gr accubonds behind 101 grs of RL33, very compressed and since 100 gr yielded 2820 fps, 101 should be around 2850 to 2870. Hope to test this weekend. I have also tested some loads with good accuracy using IMR 4350 at 89 grains with a 225 accubond and 3200 fps. Reloader 25 works well also with 97 gr and 225 Accubond.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.