338rum or 7rum for longrange

I would have to agree with you. Seeing one of your considerations was elk I would recommend a 338 edge. Of your two choices I would go with the 338 RUM. Better barrel life and I would assume better down range energy. If elk weren't a consideration I would go with the 7 RUM.

It really comes down to how recoil do you want and how heavy of a rifle you want to drag around. There is a price for everything....

7 RUM is a great round, but barrel life will suck. If you want a good 7mm caliber look at the 7 RSAUM, 7RM or 7 STW in that order for barrel life .As far as 338's go with the 338 RUM or EDGE. Better barrel life and shooting those 300gr SMK's are just plain *** fun. For elk the 338 RUM in a 26" barrel for a carry rifle , or a light weight 28" EDGE in the 12 1/2# range with optics would be about my max, shooting the 300gr SMK.
As I also agree, factory ammo in a pinch is not really an option for LR hunting.

Have you ever thought about the .300 Jazz and .284 Jazz? The .300 will push the 210 Berger 3150 easily, and the .284 should do amazing things with the 200 Wildcats. Both cartridges are based on the .338 Norma Mag, necked down and improved of course.

There is always the 30-338 Lapua Improved and the 7-338 Lapua Improved. I am looking at the 30-338 Lapua Improved pushing the 240 SMK for my next build.

I mention these because it sounds like you will not be needing to buy factory ammo.

i had a 7rum and found it to be the most cantankerous SOB i've ever owned. one day i was in love with it and had found the magic load. 2 days later it would blow a primer and chrono 150 fps faster. took the barrel off and built an edge. best cartridge i've ever owned. doesn't seem to matter what you put in it, it'll shoot. it's all about "overbore" and expansion ratio. that 338 bore will let that amount of powder burn very efficiently and temperature changes won't affect it hardly at all. when 1k elk is on the menu, i'm grabbin the 338!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.