New Sendero-7RUM or 264

cinch

I am going to get a new Sendero II, but I can't decide on the 264 or the 7RUM. I am having Kirby build me a 300RUM as we speak, so I'm leaning towards the 264. I will be using it on varmints to deer and anything in between. I also handload. Thanks for your opinions.

I've got a rifle in each of the two calibers. The 7RUM is very impressive but might need a muzzle brake to bring down the recoil a bit. The 264 on the other hand should be quite tame in the heavy Sendero. Mine likes the 129 gr Hornady SST and 7828 powder. You can probably expect 3300 fps with this bullet weight.

Since you are already having the 300RUM built, I would go with the 264. It is a quite capable deer round and you can make the fur fly on smaller stuff with lighter bullets.

Best of luck and enjoy your dilemma!

Hi why not get the 264 then have it chambered for a 6.5 Ultra Mag. you could use 7mm Ultra Type S dies with smaler bushings in them and use a 264 Win MAg Redding comp seater and run the reamer into it and you will have dies. I would bet you could throw some heavy 6.5's out very fast and flat. Would be awsome for long range varmints.

Have fun deciding the Sendaro is a great base to build a long range rifle on in either calibre but if you have a 30 why not go smaler than a 7 to the 6.5

Cheers Bill
Australia

264 is dead. Why not a 257 Weatherby in thier Vangaurd MOA rifle? Or there is a new wildcat based on the WSM cases in 25 caliber that looks hot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, like I said, I'm going to get a new Sendero. I know there are other calibers out there, but I am getting a Sendero for a possible future project. I am very hooked to the Remington 700 action. Thanks for your ideas.

7 rum....go faster, hit harder. plus, when its time for a rebarrel you can go faster twist and shoot the heavies that these guys do so well with. and it will already feed the rum case nice; maybe a 264 would need some work to move up in case dia. when you rebarrel. a 160 accubond at 3300 to 3400 is good medicine from a factory tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts