300rum or 338rum

You could buy an extended mag if you wanted to add a little, But the EDGE does fine with magazine
length loads.

I would recommend seating the bullets to mag length also.

If your smith doesn't have a 338 EDGE reamer you can order it your self and keep it or sell it when he is done. It also uses the same head space gauge as the 300 RUM and he should have one of those and should have no problems chambering the EDGE.

J E CUSTOM

I pretty sure I am sold on the idea. What bullet are you using? Any idea on barrel length for optimal speed? I looked up load data from Berger and they advertise a COAL of 3.6.
The 338 RUM POV is appreciated , but as far as bullet depth in the case, there is only a .09" difference between casing length and the Edge looks easier to resize my 300 brass.
Thanks for all the help.

Screwy1,

Addressing your original question 300 RUM or 338 RUM. Bryan Litz has a chapter in the rear of his newest book where he discusses the performance of the 300 Win mag with the 230 gr OTM vs the 338 Lapua which is pretty much the ballistic twin to the 338 RUM. He is comparing them for sniper shots out to 1500 yds.

He said out to 1500 yds the 300 win mag with 230 Bergers beats the 338 Lapua with all bullets except the 300 gr Berger hybrid.

Based on that information the 300 RUM will obviously be superior to the 300 win mag performance. If you switch to the 230 match target hybrid with its higher BC you can gain even more.

I am not going to detract from the performance of a 300 gr hybrid on LR elk from a 338 RUM or the 338 Edge. Just suggesting that the 300 RUM with either 230 gr hybrid will certainly get the job done as well. Recoil will be low enough that a brake isn't necessary. (My 8 1/2 lb 300 RUM with 230s @ 2975 is manageable without a brake) If you crunch the numbers to useful hunting distances the two chamberings are very close in trajectories and wind drift. I will admit the 338 will have more energy with the heavier bullet.

You already have the components dies bullets etc why switch when the gain not significant? Of course there is the appeal of a new chambering. Your choice.
Yeah, I had thought about this, however, the 230 grain bullet is offered only in a Target or a Tactical bullet. I spoke with Berger concerning this and their response was " these are not to be used on game", no specifications on what size of game or distance just " game ". I tend not to argue with the manufacturer. I am just stepping into the Berger bullet and am still a bit squeamish. Reviews are mixed, so I want to find out for myself and will be trying these later, but the idea of starting my experience using a bullet line that the manufacturer says not to use may, if things go bad, taint my view totally. I put a lot of time and work into working loads, and in practice ( hence the shot out barrel ). I need confidence in the bullet prior to the start of all this work.
That being said, if I stay with the 300, I am limited to a 210 gr bullet.
As I mentioned in the OP , I struggled with this decision when I originally purchased this rifle. The winning factor was that the manufacturer guaranteed a 1/2 MOA on 30 cal. or smaller, 1 MOA on anything over 30 cal. I ended up with a 1/4 to 5/16 minute gun. Even the manufacturer said that this was an exceptionally accurate rifle. That being said, I don't expect that good of results again. This shot out barrel is an opportunity to revive that struggle that I had years ago.
As far as the bullets I have are concerned, these were cheaper when I bought them and more readily available than they are now, so selling them and getting my money back from them from close friends should be easy.
The problem with the brass and the reason I wish to keep what I have is availability of brass now. I have hundreds of pieces and could sell that, the problem , however , is the availability of new brass.
I also , as I said , am not sold on Bergers, therefore I don't want to rely solely on one bullet to build this rifle. I am open to suggestions by anyone shooting these .338s.
I am also of the understanding that a 300 is a " barrel burner " and the .338 is not. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Thank you for your viewpoint.

Last edited:
I pretty sure I am sold on the idea. What bullet are you using? Any idea on barrel length for optimal speed? I looked up load data from Berger and they advertise a COAL of 3.6.
The 338 RUM POV is appreciated , but as far as bullet depth in the case, there is only a .09" difference between casing length and the Edge looks easier to resize my 300 brass.
Thanks for all the help.

I do lots of testing with the 300 grain bullets because that's is what everyone is comparing the big 338s performance against. but after I am satisfied I drop down to 250 grain bullets for hunting because of trajectory and velocity, Also there are some very good 250 grain hunting bullets and
because of there availability.

I have a 338 RUM and It has never disappointed me for hunting, For more slow burning powder
capacity I have gone to the EDGE, The EDGE AI and a creation of my own called the 338 Texan
that has maxed out the big RUM cases to 115 to 119 grains of powder. all of these have performed well on the 700 Rem long action seated to max mag length (3.700 to 3.800) using everything from a 225 grain to a 300 grain bullet with a case density of 98% to 102%.

For convenience I have built several 338s on Mark 5 Weatherbys because they can handle 4.000
length cases and because I like the action very much. But the 700 Remington is my most used
action.

I also believe that a 30" barrel is about optimum for velocity and handling. with a brake installed
it is maximum as far as I am concerned. for hunting a 28" medium heavy contour would be the minimum IMO for the big 338s.

J E CUSTOM

Yeah, I had thought about this, however, the 230 grain bullet is offered only in a Target or a Tactical bullet. I spoke with Berger concerning this and their response was " these are not to be used on game", no specifications on what size of game or distance just " game ". I tend not to argue with the manufacturer. I am just stepping into the Berger bullet and am still a bit squeamish. Reviews are mixed, so I want to find out for myself and will be trying these later, but the idea of starting my experience using a bullet line that the manufacturer says not to use may, if things go bad, taint my view totally. I put a lot of time and work into working loads, and in practice ( hence the shot out barrel ). I need confidence in the bullet prior to the start of all this work.
That being said, if I stay with the 300, I am limited to a 210 gr bullet.
As I mentioned in the OP , I struggled with this decision when I originally purchased this rifle. The winning factor was that the manufacturer guaranteed a 1/2 MOA on 30 cal. or smaller, 1 MOA on anything over 30 cal. I ended up with a 1/4 to 5/16 minute gun. Even the manufacturer said that this was an exceptionally accurate rifle. That being said, I don't expect that good of results again. This shot out barrel is an opportunity to revive that struggle that I had years ago.
As far as the bullets I have are concerned, these were cheaper when I bought them and more readily available than they are now, so selling them and getting my money back from them from close friends should be easy.
The problem with the brass and the reason I wish to keep what I have is availability of brass now. I have hundreds of pieces and could sell that, the problem , however , is the availability of new brass.
I also , as I said , am not sold on Bergers, therefore I don't want to rely solely on one bullet to build this rifle. I am open to suggestions by anyone shooting these .338s.
I am also of the understanding that a 300 is a " barrel burner " and the .338 is not. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Thank you for your viewpoint.

I was going to say the same thing as AZShooter, a 338 is not really necessary for what you are looking for. As far as the 230 Hybrids go, there are a ton of solid reviews on them with a 300 RUM on this forum. Do some searching on here and I think you will be surprised at the results. I actually don't believe I have seen a negative review about that combo, although I am sure it is out there somewhere (just as it is with any other bullet). Anyway, just a thought.

I was going to say the same thing as AZShooter, a 338 is not really necessary for what you are looking for. As far as the 230 Hybrids go, there are a ton of solid reviews on them with a 300 RUM on this forum. Do some searching on here and I think you will be surprised at the results. I actually don't believe I have seen a negative review about that combo, although I am sure it is out there somewhere (just as it is with any other bullet). Anyway, just a thought.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/review-berger-230-gr-target-terminal-performance-124351/

First post I found in my search. I've seen reviews worse than that on other sites, but I've seen the videos of elk at 900+ yards drop in their tracks as well.
In my head, the jury is still out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.