338am brass

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by new shooter, Jan 23, 2007.

1. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

I am having kirby build a 338am. what i would like to know is where the best place to get brass and the least expensive? I have a feeling this brass will not be cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I have gotten mine from TTI armory. Easiest to form in my opinion as it has a very good anneal on the neck and shoulder.

Unfortunately, no it is not cheap but for a case with a 145 to 150 gr powder capacity, its not to darn bad!!

Kirby Allen(50)

3. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I am having kirby build a 338am. what i would like to know is where the best place to get brass and the least expensive? I have a feeling this brass will not be cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unable to find TTI Brass, so I ordered Jamison from Grafs. Kirby said its a bit tougher to form. Kirby sent me a couple example formed 338AM brass, and comparing the TTI to the Jamison, the Jamison has a bit thicker rim (his where fired, mine are new). The TTI is also a bit lighter (366gr/365gr, my 100 Jamison averaged 381gr. The lightest Jamison was 365 (way out of the norm). As far as I know, the brass Kirby sent were also 'out of the norm', just giving you the info that I have. The Jamison brass I purchased, had 4 very light and one very heavy. The other 95 had an extreme spread of 10 grains, with 2 clusters within 3 grains that made up the majority of the Brass.

The Jamison brass seems to be quality stuff. I couldn't find TTI brass, if I could have, I would have bought it instead. I just felt funny not having the brass on the shelf for the rifle I had on order.

Here is a link to the Brass I purchased.

http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/73587

Don

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

The Jamison hulls are good as well. I have used them. Will take more pressure then the TTI but are a bit trickier to neck down because they are harder in the neck. Also require neck and shoulder annealing a bit more then TTI cases but will take more PSI.

Kirby Allen(50)

5. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Jamison "from Graf's" is 12.00 per 20 higher than TTI. I have used the Jamison brass, it is much harder to work with than TTI brass. More annealing is needed.
    web page "TTI Armory"

Dave

6. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Call Cheytac. They have a ton of the Jamison instock.