.338 Win Mag

I have used mine to 1000, but I find 800 for hunting to be about max.
Depends on a few parameters, what size game, what bullet you intend to run and what sort of set-up you have.
I have been running the 265g, the 300g are just too slow out of a 338WM.
My other 338WM's are fed 225g Accubonds and shoot very well out to 600 or so. These are lightweight mountain rigs, so compact scopes are the norm.

Cheers.

Do you find the recoil for the lightweight mountain rig to be prohibitive? I have a 6 1/2 pound rifle.

Is that 6 1/2 pounds naked.....or fully dressed and loaded? My wife's .338 WM runs 9.0 pounds scoped, slung, fully loaded (no brake) ... she does fine for hunting. Though not really for long range.....she has a self-imposed limit of 500 yards! She doesn't shoot much from the bench! memtb

Do you find the recoil for the lightweight mountain rig to be prohibitive? I have a 6 1/2 pound rifle.
No, in fact I was shooting my Win Model 70 EW this weekend and found my 300RUM to kick harder. I don't notice the recoil on my 338WM's that much.
I have 3 rifles currently, none are heavier than 8 1/2lbs. My Kimber is the lightest, it weighs right on 8lbs and is the lightest felt recoil out of all of them.
I have a tactical Rem 700 waiting for a 338 blank to show up, was thinking Sendero contour in either 338 Edge or 338RUM….haven't decided, but I have had an Edge before and it just didn't do it for me. Willing to go down to a 338WM if need be.

Cheers.

I liked my 338 WM quite a bit for elk and shot my elk at 460 yards with it. That being said I really like my 338 RUM! I no longer have the 338 WM. Wouldn't be much different stepping up to that if you where rebarreling anyway. Components aren't to terrible to find for the RUM now with ADG brass available. I wouldn't have been afraid to use my 338 WM out to 600 yards though. I have broke my targets though with the RUM😉

I liked my 338 WM quite a bit for elk and shot my elk at 460 yards with it. That being said I really like my 338 RUM! I no longer have the 338 WM. Wouldn't be much different stepping up to that if you where rebarreling anyway. Components aren't to terrible to find for the RUM now with ADG brass available. I wouldn't have been afraid to use my 338 WM out to 600 yards though. I have broke my targets though with the RUM😉
Thanks everyone.
I'm leaning towards that barrel !