.338 Win Mag

sewwhat89

Can anyone reccomend bullets that I can shoot in a Ruger M77 .338 Win Mag for 300-500 yd shooting. All shots will be on paper. My rifle will shoot one-hole groups with aa 2700 and 200 gr Speer spitzers, and shoots IMR 4831 very well too. I just got the rifle, but it shoots 200 gr CT Ballistic tips and 200 gr Winchester Factory Power-Points in one hole groups as well. Is there any reason to play with the 250-300 gr bullets for shooting at 500 yds? BTW I only have a 3x9 scope. I am limited by this sight picture, but that is part of the challenge I want with this particular rifle.

Can't be all that much fun shooting a 338 Win only at paper. If you're not trying "harvest" anything with it I'd stay with those light bullets. But if you are gonna go afer big game like elk or stretch out to long range say 800, 900, 1000 yds I'd go with the 250 Sierra Game king or SMK or maybe even a 225 gr bullet.

I live in East TX. I'll use it for deer and hogs, but I meant was what bullets should stabilize in a Ruger .338 barrel for shooting at 500 m. That is the longest shot I have at any shooting range I can access.

[ QUOTE ]
I meant was what bullets should stabilize in a Ruger .338 barrel for shooting at 500 m..

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I'm with ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Any 338 bullet up to the 250gr will stableize in your ruger. Of all of the bullets you listed in your initial post are good for deer. However, I'd shy away from the ballistic tip for game. They are a bit explosive at times.

Hogs are a bit of a different animal than the deer. I've done some hog hunting around Conroe and north of Fort Worth. Went after them with Catahoulas. THose guys are nuts.

With the 338 and a real good sized hog I go with the Hornady 225gr bullet at the least. The 250gr would be good too. For an itty bitty hog any of your bullets will work well.

HTH

The 200 grain Nosler BT is a fine elk bullet as the bullet is beefed up by Nosler.
The 225 gr. Accubond gives Ballistic Tip accuracy with a high BC of .550, that might be something to consider.

I chase the hogs with some friends using dogs. I am the only one with a firearm (Wilson Combat 45 ACP). It has been some hair-raising experiences. I have always used 44 mag and .25-06 for hogs. The only critter to die from the .338 was a foolish raccoon. A 210 gr NP made quite a mess of him. I am waiting for some Nosler Accubonds to come in because of their BC. Its just I can get 2:1 BT:AB at shops here. Naturally I'll test with the ballistic tips then play with the AB when I find a load. Is there anyway I could stabilize the 300 SMK? I didn't think I could drive the 250 SMK at high enough velocity to group it well with 1:10 barrel. Your thoughts?

Sewwhat89,

YOu will not have a problem with the 250 gr bullets in the 338 Win Mag as far as stability. The 300 gr SMK should also shoot fine stability wise but at pretty low velocity. You would be better using the 250 gr SMK in teh Win Mag if you wanted to use the Matchking design. Just a better match as far as bullet weight goes.

Kirby Allen(50)

10 twist is pretty much standard in 338 Win. W/RL-22 I get 2850 fps w/the sierra 250gr. Shoots really well. Don't know if the velocity is that good because of the rifle or the Chrony?????? Haven't shot at long distance to verify it, yet.

My limited hog hunting revealed very short ranges at least when the dogs had 'em bayed up.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.