338 Win Mag

rafterdude

Dont seem to see any posts on this caliber, Curious to know how it will perform as a lr hunting rifle for elk, bear etc. Would be a factory rifle to start with, either a tikka or a remmy700. What do you think?

Depends on how far is long range. I have a tikka t-3 light stainless 338 win mag with a 4-12x50 swarovski scope on it that weighs 13 ounces, titanium/aluminum alloy light model they don't make anymore, total weight scoped out just over 7 pounds. It is deadly to about 700 yards. I shot a moose at 1100 yards with a 338 win mag so they will kill stuff way out there. I have to shoot the light bullets in it because of recoil in the light rifle which doesn't have a brake. It shoots a 185 Barnes ttsx 3325 fps with a .432 BC so you can calculate that out and see what range you would be comfortable. I can get the 225 accubonds going about 2950 fps at .550 bc for more calculations. They just kick to bad in the tikka. The 185's will kill anything in north america to 700 yards and shoot flat enough that with a mil dot scope or my swaro br reticle hits are easy to there. This set up is about the best backpack rifle I know for elk hunting the mountain west. I have been backpacking the rockies for 35 years and this is as good an elk killer as I have found for that purpose.

The 338 win mag has been one of my favorites for a long time. It can take BIG game at long distance. I own one, and Im learning just what I can expect from it and want to do with it from folks like L.T.L.R. and others who know it intimately.
Great cartrige. Ive used them on elk in the past, but not at any real distance yet.

I think the main reason for not hearing too much about it is because of the performance gains you get from other 338 cartriges such as the 338 Edge, AX, RUM, Lapua etc. that are a bit better suited to fling high B.C. 338 cal bullets faster, and flatter. Not that the 338win is not up to the task, it is fully capable. Theres just some other's that do it with more authority.
I have a 300wby and a 270wsm for my fast/flat rifles, but I got a soft spot for the 338 win mag. Its a work horse with a great track record.
Good luck with your choice. Let us all know what you decide, and post pics.

Thanks guys for your input, I was thinking that this would be an under 1000 yard set up as well as its going to be less expensive to shoot and within my comfort zone on the recoil end. I can brake it if I have to. This will be my first try at a long range rifle. Thanks once again!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.