.338 Win Mag Mt Rifle Optics?

High Country

I have a Rem 700 KS Mt Rifle in .338 Win Mag. It's my light weight weight all around Alaskan rifle.

I am debating optics for this rifle....

Must haves:
13ozs or less
Good eye relief
Durable
$400 or less

Optics I have considered:
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36mm
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x 40mm
Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Vortex Viper 2-7x32, it meets your 13 oz weight limit and is only $175.

I got one for my Tikka 300 Win Mag with the BDC reticle. I'm not always a fan of BDC reticles, but the subtensions match my load almost perfectly on paper. I also like that the top end is only 7x, where the scope must be set for the BDC subtensions to work without mental math.

The BDC should also match a 250gr Accubond at 2650 fps from your .338 with a 100 yard zero. Lighter-faster will probably need a 200 yard zero. There's a standard plex available too.

This little 2-7x is a great scope for the money, but is sadly going to be discontinued by Vortex. I'm not sure what they plan to replace it with.

Nikon 3x9 monarch
Would you consider a fixed power Leuplold? This is a very rugged scope the 4x is under 10oz.

Leupold makes 2-7X33 ULTRALITE scope

I thought about that one and even convinced myself to look past the two-piece tube, but the reviews on it were not very good. I think the 24hr Campfire forum has several pages of reviews on this scope, none of them that good. I recall tunnel vision being the number one complaint but there might have been other issues. For the record I have not tested this scope.

I wish Leupold would make an Ultra-Lite with VX-3 glass, and 1-pc tube for a reasonable price.

In Alaska there is always the threat of big bears surprised at close range. You need a scope with excellent field of view. Leupold is the worst of all the scopes with very small fov. You can go up to a little over 15 ounces and get a nikon monarch 2.5-10 with 42 feet fov compared to 28 or so with the leupold. I hunt in grizzly country all the time and fov saved my life once. Fov is the first thing I consider when buying a scope. When I had my shop and range we compared all kinds of scopes continuously. The monarch was the best for the price when all was considered. I have used them for about ten years.

If you decide on the Burris 3-9 ff2 I have 2-3 new in the box with ballistic plex reticle I will ship to you for $195. Also have some of the 2.5-10 nikons nib with mil dot reticles I will ship for $315.

I had a 1.5-4.5x20 Weaver on my LH Sav 116 338 win mag, but I really wanted the 1.5-5x20 Redfield or Leupold. Never got to bring the gun to AK as I sold it to make a house payment.

Good luck on your choice

Leupold VX3 4.5-14x-40mm w/ B&C reticle. Works well if you match your bullet velocity to the stadia lines. Nightforce also makes the 2.5-10x with Velocity reticle that is a great hunting scope. It is much more expensive though.

The leupold 4.5-14 has about 18 feet fov. That will get you killed in grizzly country. I have over thirty years hunting Alaska. I would not consider such a scope. I have been in and seen some tough situations. When you are in one there is no turning back. You must go with what you got. If you have a peep hole scope and can't get it on your target you may die. If you survive you learn to do better next time. Or you can learn from experience here.

is that 18ft. FOV at minimum or maximum power?i have a Mark 4 4-14 and I would think that on 4 it has more than 19 ft FOV. just curious.

Angus, I didn't have the figures in front of me so I said about 18. 18 or 19 doesn't matter. Either is not nearly enough for walking through alders in bear country. Great scope for longer range shooting and the clicks on the leupy's have historically been accurate thus their following. 19' fov is not enough for close range target aquisition on any kind of target, especially if it is a moving bear coming at you. I learned the hard way, just trying to help others. In Alaska there is always the threat of bears at close range.

LTLR, so the FOV is always at 18' even at 4 power? I dont ask in sarcasm, but really would like to know. One would think that it would be more on 4 than 14.5?
I hunt alot in the monashee's and try to do a trip to northern B.C every year, and we always see grizz sign and the odd time see them. My Dad's hunting partner shot one in self defense on one of the trip's I missed, so I know that it does happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.