.338 Win Mag Mt Rifle Optics?

The vari x 3 3.5x14 were 18-19 ft at 100 yards. I just checked on the new vx3L and it is 20 ft at 100 yards. The new vx7 long range is 28 feet at 100 yards. These are max figures at 3.5 power. The new vx7 long range at 28' is getting to a figure a guy could live with. I quit shooting Leupold about ten years ago when they started having all the quality control issues. I didn't know the new ones had higher fov than the old ones since I quit fooling with them. I hope they got the bugs worked out. The vx7 long range looks like a good scope but for that kind of money it is hard not to go with european glass.

The vari x 3 3.5x14 were 18-19 ft at 100 yards. I just checked on the new vx3L and it is 20 ft at 100 yards. The new vx7 long range is 28 feet at 100 yards. These are max figures at 3.5 power. The new vx7 long range at 28' is getting to a figure a guy could live with. I quit shooting Leupold about ten years ago when they started having all the quality control issues. I didn't know the new ones had higher fov than the old ones since I quit fooling with them. I hope they got the bugs worked out. The vx7 long range looks like a good scope but for that kind of money it is hard not to go with european glass.

Lots of good info.. FOV is important.. I have though about the Leupold VX-II 1-4x20mm, but just did not care for it on my buddies rifle...

The FOV seems decent on the Vipers...
Vortex Optics - Viper 2-7x32 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle

If I can find one, I think this may be a decent option. Cons?

I'd go with the
VX3 3.5-10 or the FX3 6x42 fixed. I use the fixed now and love it. I'm not sure it meets your criteria for $ but I don't think it's much more $450 maybe? And it's hell for stout. It's the only scope that's held up on my 6.5lb .340wby.

After batting this one around I am leaning toward the VX-3s.. Just heard a lot of good things about them, know that Leupold has their naysayers, but to many friends run them with good luck, other scopes are a personal unknown..

Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm FOV = 37.5-13.7, 11.4ozs
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm FOV = 29.8-11, 12ozs

Just about to pull the trigger on the 2.5-8 as it is more compact, a tad lighter, and cheaper.. Figure I can always swap to another rifle if I feel the need for more glass, where I would not have a home for the 3.5-10 other than the .338 WM.

Plus the larger FOV at 2.5 is nice to have in Bear country....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.