Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

Slammed at work and realized that NF still has not gotten back to me about the barrel distortion on my SHV 3-10. Overall a bit disappointed that NF never called back despite the fact that they said they would get back to me.

I did just spend some time re-reading this whole thread and putting all the knowledge together from all the posts is great. I hope others continue to post up about their backpacking rifles.

Had to cancel a scouting trip to the high country because of snow/weather so I still have not had a chance to shoot long with my 338 RUM and the VX6. Hopefully within the next few weeks ....

My SHV is showing a significant amount of barrel distortion. More than any scope I currently own and wasn't expecting that from this expensive of an optic. The center of the field of view is at a higher magnification than the edges.
Here's a pic that will more easily explain what the image within the scope is doing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 90
I don't think it's defective, I think the optics are just not put together as well. I'm really happy with the rest of the features of the scope as well as the sharpness/contrast of the image.

NF said they were going to look at some of the SHV 3-10 scopes on their end, and if they did not see any distortion on their end that they have me send me scope in. They took all of my contact information and specifically told me they would get back to me either way. They also said that if they did see some distortion that I would basically just have to deal with the scope as-is. So is NF just too busy to get back to me, or did they in fact find distortion as an inherent problem with the SHV 3-10 optical prescription?

Overall I'm pretty frustrated. On top of the money I spent for the scope, I have now made over a half dozen calls to NF and a couple of e-mails. To have them not respond at this point is simply poor customer service.

Have you had chance to look through another 3-10 SHV? I have the 4-14 had some clarity problems but the new scope works well.. Edge to Edge clarity and focused ...

I really like the Night Force Optics, but they are very heavy, for my back country gun I use a Leupold MKIV They are much lighter..... I also find that the stock makes a lot of difference, using a HS Precision mdl 24 on my back country gun and a McMillan A5 on my competition gun. The A5 is very heavy compared to the HS stock.

RIFLE->.300 Win mag Browning Stainless Stalker A-Bolt W/ BOSS brake
(zeroed to 200 meters) Original plastic stock W/ pillar and Marine Tex bedding. Rifle metal black Teflon Navy mil spec. coated

SCOPE-> Burris Black Diamond 30 mm tube 3 - 18 X
(Unfortunately with MOA turrets & Mil Dot reticle)

Using a Bushnell ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinding binoculars set to mils and meters so I don't need to use my scope turrets, just the reticle and LRF binocular info.

Hunt area-> northern Nevada mountains

Hunting rig in Alaska, 300 RUM match, 28 inch #5 Broughton 5c , with NXS 5.5-22-50 with Velocity 1000 reticle. She weighs about 12 lbs love the Nf optics, but this year I went with a Viper PST 6.5-24-50 on my 7mm Remington LR model and like it lots, weighs about 10 lbs. guess it matters what your hunting.

Now that hunting season is upon us, I'm sure everybody is as anxious as I am to get out in the field.

I've got some interesting results from testing out my VX6 3-18, NF 3-10 SHV and NF ATACR. Not what you would expect. Will write up the results when I get more time, likely after the hunting season is over.

Used my Swaro Z5 3.5-18X for the first hunt this past August. Very happy with the light weight and performance of that scope on my relatively lightweight 30/375 SI, which is the 375 Ruger necked down and improved. The rifle balances very nicely with the 16oz scope in the Seekins AL rings, compared to the heavier 24oz Sightron SIIIs I've been using in the prior 6 years.

The Swaro Z5s do need the aftermarket turrets from HighPowerOptics in order to be able to twist turrets for LRH use. I've just had those HighPowerOptics turrets installed on my Z5, and this scope is now the best fit I've ever had on any of my backpacking LRH rifles.

There are some compromises compared to purchasing a 30 to 40 oz scope, but I will never again backpack a 30oz riflescope in my life. The 24oz Sightron SIIIs are about my upper limit in a rifle scope for my backpack hunting. The 16 oz Swaro Z5 is a delight to use and carry. This Z5 is 1/2 lb lighter than my Sightron SIIIs, yet completely functional for my backpack hunting in the mountains of Alaska. Take 1/2 lb off the top of the receiver of a backpacking weight rifle and life is good.

Used my Swaro Z5 3.5-18X for the first hunt this past August. Very happy with the light weight and performance of that scope on my relatively lightweight 30/375 SI, which is the 375 Ruger necked down and improved. The rifle balances very nicely with the 16oz scope in the Seekins AL rings, compared to the heavier 24oz Sightron SIIIs I've been using in the prior 6 years.

The Swaro Z5s do need the aftermarket turrets from HighPowerOptics in order to be able to twist turrets for LRH use. I've just had those HighPowerOptics turrets installed on my Z5, and this scope is now the best fit I've ever had on any of my backpacking LRH rifles.

There are some compromises compared to purchasing a 30 to 40 oz scope, but I will never again backpack a 30oz riflescope in my life. The 24oz Sightron SIIIs are about my upper limit in a rifle scope for my backpack hunting. The 16 oz Swaro Z5 is a delight to use and carry. This Z5 is 1/2 lb lighter than my Sightron SIIIs, yet completely functional for my backpack hunting in the mountains of Alaska. Take 1/2 lb off the top of the receiver of a backpacking weight rifle and life is good.

Tell us more about these turrets. Are they accurate and repeatable like, say, NF, or SB? It sounds like they could make the Swaro a really good scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.