Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

Now this is funny. I just received my SHV 4-14X56 MOAR on my 308 win cause I wanted matching reticles with my NXS AND turrets. Sport optics waived shipping and took off 100.00 bucks

Great looking scope... have you shot it yet? How far do you think you could stretch out consistently with 14x in a hunting scenario?

I will be taking it out to day , My sole intentions for the set up was for target shooting to get use to the MOAR reticle , and whitetail hunting at distances out to 600 yards so we shall see today what it can do out to 300 yards unfortunately I'm in LONG ISLAND NY and there's nothing further

Will do a quick review later today on it.

Timber,

After a breezy raining March day in New York.. I put the scope thru some test. Easy to zero in .. I was concern with the over head clouds but that big 56mm lens sucked in day light with no problem.. As to shooting distance. I didn't get a chance to dial up to 14 but at 8 power 300 yards was no problem.. I will honesty say 800 yards at high power will probably be a safe bet.. The turrets tracked very nice in the square test. My only concern was I wish I had a better rifle to shoot..

I have one of the very first 4-14x50 leo tactical.My son and I have both taken game to 700+ with this scope on a 325 wsm,Ive shot elk with it further on my 340 wby,been a good scope.I favor mil and want matching turrets but this is mildot with moa,I never had problem dialing but outdated now.It is easy to 1/4 elk with this at elk in 800 yrd range.This is about minimum scope I use,20 oz. is nice also.

Good feedback on the 4-14x56 SHV. Thanks for posting that up.

Also interesting to hear how far many of you have shot elk. I might be wrong, but it seems that very few guys have taken elk past 800 yards. I only bring it up because I wonder how many opportunities any of us really have beyond those distances. So many variables and you always want to have to capability to reach out a long ways, but to save weight I wonder if it might be smarter to go with a scope that might not be ideal for a 1200 yard shot, but still provide plenty of performance out to the general sub 1000 yard range.

It's easy to want the most high performing scope when I'm sitting here at my computer where weight doesn't matter, but like Sp6x6 said a 20 ounce scope sure is nice...

I took one at 496. I agree I don't think I will get a chance to take a elk over 1000 yards I prep for it but doubt the opportunity will present its self.. Someone told me extreme long distant shots are very rare in CO.

I have a shv 4-14x56. So far it seems like a very good scope. My review of it would be much the same as above. I'm wondering if the shv in the 3-10x42 would be the answer. Never had my hands on one as of yet. But if my current shv continues to impress me as it has so far, if and when I can afford one I'd sure like to try one. I know 10 power isn't as much as lots would like, but I think it would work for a hunting scope out to 700 or 800 yards. Probably wrong, but would still like to try one.

I think the 10power will be more the enough power up 800 yards .. May I ask which rings and base are you using

My current shv 4-14x56 is mounted on a 300 rum, 25 inch #2 pac nor plus brake. High Tech lite weight stock and a 1999 action. Put together by Kevin Weaver. I guess now that you ask I actually don't know what the bases are, Mr. Weaver bedded them on there for me and I never asked what they were. The rings are low Valdada. This is my light weight back packing rifle. If they would have had the 3-10x42 shv at the time I purchased the 4-14x56 shv I probably would have tried it. Oh well gives me something to want, and that votes well for my wife. I have to be extra nice.:rolleyes:

Well I just bought a 3-10 SHV from the LRH store. Gonna mount it on my 338WSM. Can't wait to run it though the paces.

MOAR. Same reticle in my ATACR.

and planning to use the reticle for all shots with that rifle when I'm hunting. Going to limit shots to sub 600.

Timber,
I'll be watching this tread hoping for an update when you get the scope. Very interested in one myself. Shoot straight and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts