338 Win Mag loads

Keep ideas coming guys. I bought a Weatherby Vangard II for $350.00 that had less than 20 rounds down the barrel. It came with 10 boxes of factory Federal and 2 boxes of Nosler ammo. I went to the range and shot 40 rounds just so I could start reloading for that gun. So I am here for ideas. Also, @ Wrenches are you using muzzle brakes on your .338

I ran a MBM 5 port on mine, but recently my 338 can arrived so I will be using that this fall. I'm not a fan of an unbraked 338.

It's not really that bad. I have a regular hard pad on my #1 and no brake.
My 338 Win Mag was originally stocked with a Ramline stock with the solid plastic butt pad. I called it Subdural Hematoma as it made me see double after a session at the range. Sheared off 2 sets of rings until I added a brake and a laminate stock. It's now a pleasure to shoot. I found R19 and IMR 4350, 4831 and H 4350 to work well with the Bullets your going to use. Just ask the Bull in my pic that was DRT with a 250 grain Hornady Spire Point.

My 338 Win Mag was originally stocked with a Ramline stock with the solid plastic butt pad. I called it Subdural Hematoma as it made me see double after a session at the range. Sheared off 2 sets of rings until I added a brake and a laminate stock. It's now a pleasure to shoot. I found R19 and IMR 4350, 4831 and H 4350 to work well with the Bullets your going to use. Just ask the Bull in my pic that was DRT with a 250 grain Hornady Spire Point.
My Pop's Browning A-bolt2 in 338 was similarly unshootable without a brake. It's odd how a poor stock design can influence tolerable recoil. My Ruger is just fine in 338, and oddly, my Browning A-bolt 2 lh in 300win no longer wears a Boss even though it develops about the same energy as my Pop's 338...
You are right on Hornady pills too. They aren't always the slipperiest in the air so no one really promotes them for lr unless you are feeding a creed, but they get the job done and well at that.

In all 3 of my 338WM's the best powder for accuracy and speed in 26" barrels has always been RL19.
Average velocities across all 3 hover around 2950fps with 225g pills or 2775fps with 250g pills.
I really like the performance of the 338WM, it just gets it done.

Cheers.

Not exactly the OP's bullet, but just an option in these fairy dust powder times…I'm pushing another brand 225gr with 71gr of R17 in my 338wm. Stock TC Venture and recoil is not bad at all. Each there own with recoil though. My lightweight 7-08 kicks harder than my 338WM.

Vince does the Gentry blow a lot of dirt and debris when shooting prone?
Yes, all radial type of brakes should not be used in a prone position, but they are much quieter when not shooting prone.

For Prone shooting, I use the Ross with the side and top vents, takes the recoil way down, but all of these side discharge brakes are LOUD...use them with ear plugs, walker game ears, electronic ear muffs only.

Yes, all radial type of brakes should not be used in a prone position, but they are much quieter when not shooting prone.

For Prone shooting, I use the Ross with the side and top vents, takes the recoil way down, but all of these side discharge brakes are LOUD...use them with ear plugs, walker game ears, electronic ear muffs only.
I have a Vias on my 300 Win mag and was going to put one on my .338 Win Mag. I can take it off when hunting if necessary. Thank you for responding, I was not sure about the Gentry.