338 win mag and 300 gr bergers

When running the ballistics of this bullet at 2400fps it looks to have enough energy on elk sized game to 1000 yards at sea level (1465ft/lbs). However, one needs to look at impact velocity as well so that the bullet still has enough speed to open and come apart. I doubt you would want to drop below 1650-1700 fps impact velocity which would put you around 750-800 yards. Maybe someone will chime in with experience on minimum impact velocity with the 300 OTM.
Up where I work in Maine it is very unlikely to get a 1000 yard shot.600 to 700 yards would be max.If I can get it shooting good at 500 meters I'll not be afraid to use it up there.I have never thought of a 338 Win Mag as a 1000 yard gun.Has anyone tried it out that far?

Went to the range tuesday and made sure the 338 was still on at 200 meters.I then went to the 500 meter range and put up several target up and down to see how much the bullet would drop.I was using 59.5 grains of 760 and was going around 2450.The bullet dropped almost 5 foot.I shot 3 groups and all 3 where between 3 and 4 inches.I am not going to put one of my better scopes on it , but I have a Burris 4.5 x 14 BDC I am going to throw on it to see how close I can get to the 500 meter bulls eye using it,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.