338 win mag and 300 gr bergers

Pa Grizz

I have seen a few threads on some of the more powerful 338's,but if there was one on the win mag I mised it.I was given some 300's and got to wondering if the win mag has enough power to even bother with a bullet that size.

I have seen a few threads on some of the more powerful 338's,but if there was one on the win mag I mised it.I was given some 300's and got to wondering if the win mag has enough power to even bother with a bullet that size.

I wondered about it too. However, HSM load them (stock# BER-338WMOTM) page 53 of 62 http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/ProductList.pdf.

Not sure of barrel length tested but they have it advertised as MV=2400 FPS and ME=3838 FT-LBS.

Most I think feel that it just doesn't have enough powder capacity to effectively propel the heavy projectile to take full advantage of its full potential out of the .338 Win Mag.

Having said that, I'd say go for it and explore ... and please do share! :Dgun)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I wondered about it too. However, HSM load them (stock# BER-338WMOTM) page 53 of 62 http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/ProductList.pdf.

Not sure of barrel length tested but they have it advertised as MV=2400 FPS and ME=3838 FT-LBS.

Most I think feel that it just doesn't have enough powder capacity to effectively propel the heavy projectile to take full advantage of its full potential out of the .338 Win Mag.

Having said that, I'd say go for it and explore ... and please do share! :Dgun)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed
Thats about the same as Bergers web site.I was just hoping someone had used them and had any idea how they shot out farther than 100 yards.I guess I'll have to just load some up and see for myself.I found a load using760..I'll let you know what happens.

I have a 24" barrel 338WM.

So far I've shot:
225 A-Frames - Very nice @ 2775
225 TTSX - Very nice @ 2760
285 Hornady BTHP @ 2500, not what I'm looking for but OK for bang therapy.

I have some 250 Noslers, 250 Bergers and 300 Bergers but I'm saving those for the bigger 338's

If it were me: Stretch the COAL out as long as you can to get the powder capacity.

If you're looking for any kind of long distance performance out of running the 300 OTM, your Win Mag just won't push it fast enough to create an advantage. I would consider the 250 grain Berger. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that any 300 grain bullet is too heavy for a 338 win mag. Trajectory and velocity at long range suffers far too much. IMHO the 338 win mag is at it's best with 225 grain bullets and a 26" barrel. 250 grains is max weight for the win mag but I think is still very effective.

I thought this is the info I would get back.The largest I every shot out of my 338 was a 215 sierra.It does real good out to 300 meters then it's like falling off a table and fiquerd 200 would probaly be max out of this gun with the 300gr.I was given the 300's and wanted to see if anyone had tried them.I found a load of 56 to 59 grains of 760 powder.I'll let you know.Thanks

This is what I did with the 300 using 59 grs of win 760 at 200 meters.It was to windy to try any farther.These were 20th off the lands.Iam going to work on that,but I do not think it's that bad for the first try.

Attachments

• dsc00079 (3).jpg
    dsc00079 (3).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 155
Guys, I've been thinking about this and if you take a 300 gr bullet moving at one of the faster 338's at say 2900fps, and this load is good for 1200+ yds then if I have a 338/06 at say 2400fps then I loose the first 450 yds so then even the 338/06 is still good for 750 yds.

Lots of offerings are good to 750 that shoot much flatter and take some error out that way.That large pill has rounds like the 338 Norma that where specifically designed for it. Your better off with a 225 type in a 338 win...You also loose alot af case capacity in a cartidge like that,much better solutions.

If your 338 win mag will shoot the 300 gr Berger hybrid accurately then I say give it a try. It may not have a very flat trajectory but it sure bucks the wind and retains energy way out there.

If there is an issue it might be magazine length.

Have you crunched the ballistics?

I will repeat my story again in part. I made a long throated 338 RCM in a LA Mark X with a 30" barrel. Velocity with the 300 gr bullet is 2550 fps. I have used on a coues wt and it performed just fine. As a bonus it ruined little meat.

It may not be a walk around woods elk rifle but for glassing and shooting from a position it works great. I have an elevation turret so I can compensate for the drop. At my hunting elevation of 4000 ft at 575 yds: 2985 ft/lb velocity 2117 fps, Drift 11.7". Sure it isn't a 338 lapua or 338 Edge but it works quite well and is very accurate.

I think you should consider it if you have LR glass and shoot style hunting in mind.

If your 338 win mag will shoot the 300 gr Berger hybrid accurately then I say give it a try. It may not have a very flat trajectory but it sure bucks the wind and retains energy way out there.

I will repeat my story again in part. I made a long throated 338 RCM in a LA Mark X with a 30" barrel. Velocity with the 300 gr bullet is 2550 fps. I have used on a coues wt and it performed just fine. As a bonus it ruined little meat.

It may not be a walk around woods elk rifle but for glassing and shooting from a position it works great. I have an elevation turret so I can compensate for the drop. At my hunting elevation of 4000 ft at 575 yds: 2985 ft/lb velocity 2117 fps, Drift 11.7". Sure it isn't a 338 lapua or 338 Edge but it works quite well and is very accurate.

I think you should consider it if you have LR glass and shoot style hunting in mind.
The rounds just do fit in the magizine.As far as ballistics I did not even take the chorny with me because I just wanted to see how they would shoot first.I took one shot at 100 meters and cut the bulls eye so I went to 200.I thought I would get more of drop than I did.Like I said in the other thread these bullets was free so the is just an experiment.I still have a few more grains of powder to go to max and I still have some work to do on the OAL

I totally agree! lightbulb

The rounds just do fit in the magizine.As far as ballistics I did not even take the chorny with me because I just wanted to see how they would shoot first.I took one shot at 100 meters and cut the bulls eye so I went to 200.I thought I would get more of drop than I did.Like I said in the other thread these bullets was free so the is just an experiment.I still have a few more grains of powder to go to max and I still have some work to do on the OAL

Keep us posted!gun)

When running the ballistics of this bullet at 2400fps it looks to have enough energy on elk sized game to 1000 yards at sea level (1465ft/lbs). However, one needs to look at impact velocity as well so that the bullet still has enough speed to open and come apart. I doubt you would want to drop below 1650-1700 fps impact velocity which would put you around 750-800 yards. Maybe someone will chime in with experience on minimum impact velocity with the 300 OTM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.