338 RUM bullets to lands are to long for magazine

SDTA

I used a bullet depth gauge for a my bullets and for most I would have to shorten the round about .190 to get them to fit in the magazine. I used a defiance action on a proof research 24" carbon fiber barrel, Kadex chassis and Jewel trigger. I reamed it with a SAMI 338 RUM reamer? It just seems that's a big jump to the lands. Please give me your thoughts. My only other choice is to have a reamer made with a shorter throat length to get the bullets closer to the lands.

What bullet ? Shoot it give it a try many on here are farther than that off.Keep some long and single feed with same load and see if a difference.With the same load.You have to set barrel back to do as mentioned,does it have a brake and would all that time out ok?

I have enough room to cut the barrel shorter that isn't a problem. I do have a brake on it. Funny thing is that the fourth shot I took with it killed me. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I nearly cried. Then I thought maybe I wasn't settled in good on my shoulder and shot again-I was so ****ed I picked up the rifle to launch it and then saw I shot the muzzle brake right off. The gas cut it right in two. So I made another brake and now it is fine as far as recoil. As far as bullets I basicially have them all. I have the Hornadys, Seira Match king 300gr, Berger 250's and Barnes 225grain.

Guys are really running .190 off the rifling???

That doesnt sound right about brake being cut in two?Almost all factory rifle have large jump,and many that shoot tight,Weatherbys have long throats to help with high velocity number

This common belief that a bullet will only be accurate if it is close to, or into, the rifling, has me perplexed.
There is absolutely nothing set in stone that some jump causes inaccuracy. I have a few rifles with long throats, as well as some Weatherby chamberings with very long throats. Not a single one of those rifles is inaccurate, in fact, my Weatherbys' with .500" of freebore are very accurate.
My advice is this, load to max mag length and shoot some groups, if it's no good, try book length, if that's no good, load close to the rifling and single load.
I shoot either Accubonds or Bergers in my 338 Edge, it is single loaded because I load to a set length so that powder capacity is maximised, it still has jump, not a lot, but enough and my magazine is too short for the COAL.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Awesome, Thank you for the reply's and private messages. I guess I was mistaken to load close to the lands for accuracy. I got a .77 three shot with 89.5 gr of Retumbo with a 300gr Siera match king touching the lands. It was my best load so I will shrink it to fit the magazine and see how the accuracy changes.

Well despite farting around with 5 loads at 3.6", nothing impressed me. Then I shot the Nosler Trophy grade factory 300Grain. It shot .57" and I can load them in the magazine. Now I wish I could find the powder they use because at $86 a box I need to get this recipe!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.