338 RUM build on 270 Wby Mk V action.

WildBillG

So as the title says I am thinking of building a338RUM on a 270 Wby Mk V action. Will this action and magazine be long enough for this build. From what I understand all Mk V actions are the same. Is 650 dollars to much for a Weatherby action. It is actually a complete rifle so I thought it was not to bad. Thoughts on this would be nice to hear. Thank you all in advance.

The 9-lug Mark V actions are all the same length. IIRC, the groove machined into the bolt for the bolt stop on 257/270/7mm cartridges is shorter than the 300/340 cartridges, which is shorter than the 378 cartridges. Again, this is just going off the top of my head. I believe they have slightly different boxes as well. Your smith can lengthen the groove for the bolt stop on your bolt and I know guys have gotten the 378 box from Weatherby to get Max COAL. I would go this route if building a 338 RUM. $650 is not a bad price for a Mark V. Keep us posted on the build. I would just take it to the smith, let him know what you want to do, and I'm sure he will be able to put together what you want.

I'd be curious how it got separated from the rest of the rifle if it's action only. But yeah I'd have it checked, and pay that. I don't even have a use for it currently, but could think one up.

I'd be curious how it got separated from the rest of the rifle if it's action only. But yeah I'd have it checked, and pay that. I don't even have a use for it currently, but could think one up.
The OP got the whole rifle for $650. I'd have offered $550 and if they balked would've said, well...$650 is fair, I'll take it. Lol.

Am I correct in assuming these are very strong actions.
You bet. I'm not sure I could name another that gets thrown around as the "strongest" more than the Mark V. Certainly not factory actions anyway. IIRC, Roy tested those actions at 6 figure PSI ratings without issue. With that being said, most actions have all the strength you would need for a 65K psi load. But yeah, if you asked me to name the strongest action I know of, the Mark V would be the first to come to mind.

I am working out the payment with the guy now. May keep it 270 to shoot 1 deer with then my build can begin. My thought was this was a way more than fair price don't push it.

Just to clarify, it's a 270 Wby Mag, right? If I was/am mistaken, and it's a 270 Win, that changes things a bit. Do you know what model the rifle is? If it's a deluxe with the gloss Walnut stock than $650 is a great price. If it's a synthetic with the tupperware stock than $650 is definitely a reasonable price. 270 Wby Mag isn't exactly cheap to shoot and be careful, you might not want to rebarrel after you shoot it.

imartin that is a fear I have of not wanting to change it. Luckly I have a 270 WSM already. The 338 RUM build has been on my mind for some time now . It was going to be built out of my Sako but then I saw this 270Wby deal and that was that.

As far as the magazine length,if it is like my 7mm Weatherby MV there is a spacer in the magazine which is easily removed to give it max length.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.