.338 Papua grouping problems

Tvaughan1

I'll try to make it short, have a savage 110ba brand new with a used night force 3.5-15x56 and at 100 yards I am sub MOA big time and at 200 it's all over the place. Can't seem to group to save my life. Using lead sled, bi pod or sand bags. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? How can I check if scope is bad? Thanks!

Never heard of the .338 Papua. Is that a new cartridge.:) How bad are the groupings at 200? 1 MOA at 200 would be a 2" group.

Haha lapoua. But no I mean absolutely garbage. 1-2 feet and I am almost positive it isn't me, I'm using a lead sled to be positive

Haha lapoua. But no I mean absolutely garbage. 1-2 feet and I am almost positive it isn't me, I'm using a lead sled to be positive
Are you dialing up at all between your 100-200yd groups?

Sounds like something is loose or busted in the scope/mounts.

If you aren't dialing something is bad, bad wrong and usually it's got to do with the shooter rather than the equipment.

I dialed 1.4 Minuets up because of someone else's dope that I found online to try and get a close mark but it isn't even close. I'll zero and try 200 yards tomorrow and see where it leaves the rounds

even the best rings and mounts can get knocked loose on a rifle with that kind of recoil.

Try putting some chalk dust on your scope tube on both sides of each ring so you can see clearly if it's moving between shots.

I'd probably check the torque on the mounting bolts for the scope rings, attachment points and rail as well before shooting it again.

No sense wasting ammo if you when you know something is wrong.

Make sure the trigger guard screws are not loose too.

I'll check and let y'all know in the morning, thanks guys
Yep, check all of the possible failure points then relax and shoot. If you get frustrated, take a break or just quit.

I've found I can waste high numbers of expensive ammo and time if I get frustrated/aggravated and it all goes downhill fast from there.

Something pretty much has to be loose or busted for you to go from sub MOA at 100 to multiples of MOA at 200. I just can't fathom anything else doing it.

Best of luck.

Okay ladies and gents, still haven't found problem. Can't even hit paper at 50 anymore. Tried 15 or so rounds and I can't even follow my shots. I'm thinking either optics or barrel but I can't figure a way to pin point exact problem

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.