.338 owners, I need some help.

thesheepdog

Hello all,

I am beginning the build-phase of my .338 Edge. I have two Shilen and one Bartlein barrel; a brand new 7mm Mag action, and some other various parts I am sending to my gunsmith.

The issue:
He needs two things from me that I don't have, in order for him to get started:

1) 2-3 pieces of sized .338 Edge brass
2) COAL for the 300 gr Bergers.

I don't have dies/brass for this loading yet, so I want to see if anyone here would be willing to sell me a couple, so my smith can get busy chambering the barrels.

p.s. Also, how many of you had your 700 receiver machined to accept the long OAL of the 338 Edge? I want to use a Badger Ord. scope base with the recoil lug, and I am hoping the receiver doesn't get machined where the recoil lug will rest.

Since you have to get the stuff anyway, and even if someone else does it for you you will still have to wait till they get time to actually load the dummy rounds and then mail them seems like you would be ahead to just order the stuff and do it yourself

Since you have to get the stuff anyway, and even if someone else does it for you you will still have to wait till they get time to actually load the dummy rounds and then mail them seems like you would be ahead to just order the stuff and do it yourself

Actually it's not in my budget this month. 338 dies are expensive and brass ain't easy to come by.

I´m loading my .338 EDGE cartridges @ ˜3.990" with the 300gr OTM Bergers.
If you don´t want to spend a lot of money just get a couple .300 RUM cases and run them down the Hornady .338 Magnum Neck Sizer Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Neck Sizer Die 338 Mag

My .338 EDGE is built over a Rem 700 SPS Stainless 7mm RM and had to have a lot of work done over it.
At first I started with a Wyatt´s extended magazine box which required a little machining of the action and bolt stop. It also required the feeding lips to be opened. Then I migrated to a Wyatt's Outdoors Center Feed Extended Magazine Box with Follower Remington 700 BDL Long Action
Wyatt's Outdoors Center Feed Extended Mag Box Follower Remington 700
because the previous one would´t allow my cartridges fit inside the mag box.
This required more machining on the action because it is a lot longer than the previous mag box.
In my rifle this is the best solution for a repeater because it was throated a little long and need a very long COL to get the Bullets close to the lands. Upside is it allows me to put 93gr of retumbo inside the case to push the 300 grainers @2794fps out of my 26" barrel with no signs of pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 100
Don't know if you have used any whidden gunworks dies but their price is good and they list 338 edge, i have a few of their dies and they are top notch in my book, i love their seater dies especially.

Whidden Gunworks

180.00 for a set with a micrometer seater isn't too bad. check them out

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.