338 Norma Reloading Data

What twist rate and barrel length?

I've started running my seating depth tests at .003" increments.

What was the best group size you got during your testing?
24 inch 9.4 twist

IMG_6861.jpeg
IMG_6862.jpeg

I experienced the same with the BD-2 's until I tested seating depths from .025-.125" off in .025" increments. .075" jump is where it came in for me with multiple powders. I started with a charge weight ladder up to pressure at .050" off, working up in .5 gr increments. I know of two others that have tuned the badlands at .070-.080" jump as well.
IMG_6909.jpeg

I would try out the .003" increments.

I'll look through my book and see what charges I have circled for the 250's. - 90.16 grains of H1000 only gave me 2900FPS, but at 300 yards it shot .618 MOA for a five shot group. Bullet was 2.946" base to ogive.

If you have an arbor press you can seat them long and then adjust the depth at the range. Even going in .006" increments to save ammo, then when you find a decent group size you shoot a group on either side of that group. Example, you shoot a 1/2 MOA group at 100 with your bullet seated at .015" off. Test a group at .012" off and .018" off.

You will find a seating depth node. Typically .006"wide. By this I mean you will have a window of .006" that won't impact group size as your throat erodes.

I have heard monos are a little more sensitive to this window, but I just don't know.

My 300 grain OTM's have a .006" window that will shoot bugholes at 100 yards and hold 1/2" MOA out to 1000 if I do my part. This also allows you some wiggle room without having to sort bullets.

These were three shot groups at 100 yards with those 300 OTM Bergers.
IMG_4758.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone tried faster twist barrels yet? I've currently got a 1:9.3 on my 338 and have two I will be spinning up that are 1:8. Went with a faster twist so I can shoot the heavier monos.

Be pretty sweet if badlands came out with a 300 grain solid for the .338.

Sounds like Hammer time!!!
Sorry to tell you this, but my testing in 30 cal bullets show that there is little to no speed advantage with the highly ridged bullets, maybe 25-50 fps advantage in MV that is easily made up for in the first 100 yds by the higher BC of the Badlands bullets of equivalent weight. The ridges and groves increase skin drag a lot.

Sorry to tell you this, but my testing in 30 cal bullets show that there is little to no speed advantage with the highly ridged bullets, maybe 25-50 fps advantage in MV that is easily made up for in the first 100 yds by the higher BC of the Badlands bullets of equivalent weight. The ridges and groves increase skin drag a lot.
Well, I guess you don't load Hammers Hot, but that's ok. I guess the animal that your shooting won't know the difference fast or slow on the bullet! Bulldozer-2 are good bullets for what they are designed for. I hope Steve jumps in on this one. I also a NRA Lifer!

Would definitely try H1000 or N565. H1000 probably gives the best accuracy but may not give you really high velocities but the BC of that bullet will more than make up for it. At 2900 fps you already have more energy than a 375 H&H. You can kill anything in the world with that bullet including dangerous game.