.338 Norma Magnum Load Data?

lv2hunt

Howdy,

I have scoured the internet and this forum for .338 Norma Magnum load data as I will be receiving my rifle back from the Gunsmith soon. I have found some information but am still in search of more, if anyone has load data for this cartridge and would be willing to share what works for you please share. From what I have read it looks like Alliant R-22, R-25, Hodgdon H-1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, and Viht. N570 powders would all be good performers.

I am partial to Hodgdon powders and the Berger 300-grain hybrid bullet but am open to suggestions as well. What I have on hand and would like to use for development: (Initial load possibility from what I have read would be 88-grains of either H-1000 or Retumbo, with bullet seated anywhere between .005 and .015 off the lands).

.338 Norma Magnum brass, once fired
CCI 250 or Federal 215 M primer
Berger 300-grain hybrid bullets
Hodgdon, H-1000 or Retumbo

Please include as much data as you can, Thank you!
lv2hunt

my cousin uses N570 in his 330 built by Chad Dixon of LRI and it's an amazing machine, but when the availability of VV powders came into question, he started load development all over from scratch and I'm not sure where he was headed.

I've been trying to convince him to give RL33 a test, but so far he's considering H1000 and Retumbo as well.

I'll try and get some of his recipes later.

I got this load from Jense precision and Greg the stock division guy at Proof 86-92 gr Retumbo with what you listed. I shoot 87.5 and get 2725-50,@ .005 off which is 3.675 COAL with a berger 300 otm. The tips vary so I have my oal on comparator. The length listed gives me about .125 in rem mag or AI DBM.I have 6 reloads on so far

Thanks for the information, this is exactly what I have been in search of. Please keep it coming. SP6x6, what brand / type comparator do you use? I too have the AI DBM system only with a Savage action.

lv2hunt

I have a Hornady and a Sinclair. I have multiple calipers so I leave some set up I have one 338 norma that is a main shooter so I have shoulder and comp. bullet bushing set up.I have one shoulder bushing that you can use on loaded round which is sometimes useful

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.