338 Norma Mag or 338 edge

Screwey1

Wanting to build a 338 and have been going over as much information as my brain can handle, but it seems information is all over the place. Is there any information on the comparable speeds between these two? Using a 300 gr. SMK I have seen velocities in the Norma from 2650 to 2850.
The Edge speeds are all over the place. I read speeds from 2650 to 3050. The edge has too many variables, from COAL of 3.65 to over 4 ". Barrel length from 26 inch to 32 inch.
Can anyone tell me what to realistically expect in a Norma with a 26" barrel, loaded under 3.68 OAL?
Also in a Edge loaded under 3.99 (Wyatt's box) OAL with a 28" barrel?
I understand that the edge barrel length starts best at 28 and goes up, since this is to be a hunting rifle, I would like to stay on the shorter side.

Thanks

Have you looked at the 338 RUM ?

It will match the Lapua and the Norma and is a straight forward build and dies and brass are not a problem.

The Edge has a powder capacity advantage but needs a 28 to 30'' barrel to reach its true potential
as do the other big 338,s .

If price is an issue, the rum is the way to go. If price is not an issue the Lapua is the way to go in my opinion.

All of the 338,s are good performers and have there place in the velocity game so there are lots of choices.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Have you looked at the 338 RUM ?

J E CUSTOM

Yeah, I have and it would seem to be a 250 gr round. The bigger 300 gr look like they will take up too much case capacity. The Lapua seems to fall in that category as well.
Keep in mind that the information / opinions I have come up with are based on stuff I read, not first hand experience.

My 338 RUM with a 26 inch barrel will shoot 300 gr smk at 2840 fps with RL 33. If that gives you a idea of what it is capable of.

I have always gotten more velocity with 300 gr bullets from the EDGE and Lapua than the smaller cased RUM and Norma. Not a ton, but enough to make me prefer their larger case volume for a 338 and what I want to do with it.

Jeff

I have always gotten more velocity with 300 gr bullets from the EDGE and Lapua than the smaller cased RUM and Norma. Not a ton, but enough to make me prefer their larger case volume for a 338 and what I want to do with it.

Jeff

Any examples? I am leaning toward the edge, but want to make sure the velocity difference is worth the extra work.

Thanks

I have an Edge, it is new and I haven't had a chance to do extensive load testing, but in my 28" barrel, the 300SMK will do 2850 with RE25. It possibly could get more with different powders, but 17, 33 and 50 are hard to come by in Australia.
I went through all of the same things you are, the Lapua is restrictive due to availability of brass, the 338Norma is the same and the 338RUM is the lower option out of all of them, this is why I felt the Edge was worth the extra effort and cost of fitting a Wyatts box.

I like mine, it actually gives better performance than I expected.

Cheers.
gun)

these are case capacity off sites like this h20, but should be some what close for and idea. I have first 2 and off my case 340 wby 103, 338 NM 108,338 RUM 113, 338 LA 114.Then there is stuff like allen x 338 131,338-378 137,then Allen mag parent 408=182, Allen Raptor 153. Lots out there

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.