338 mag in a P-14

Super-chuk

I have an old P-14 in 303 handed down from Dad. Was thinking of re-barrel. re-stock and re-chamber to 338 mag. Indications are that action is stong enough but friends tell me to stay with something modern like Model 70 or Rem 700. Advice?

Your .303 Patter 1914 should work just fine... I had {wish now I hadn't sold it} a custom cal .30, model 1917 "eddystone" in .308 Norma Mag in 1964; that was a fantastic hunting rifle and cartridge combo... The 1917 has a rim diameter of 0.473" so you have to open them up for the magnum rim diameter of 0.532" Your bring a .303 Brit is; 0.540" rim diameter not enough to be a problem in the .338 Winchester mag. Just put a good barrel on it.' the action is strong enough.

I built my self a 338-378 Weatherby on a P-14 action about 5 years ago. I had to open the bolt face up and modify the extractor to use as a single shot but the action is absolutely strong enough. The Remington and Winchester actions will work also but the re-sale on one of them would probably be greater as they are more common to most.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.