AICS 338 Norma Mag mod

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
My 338 Lapua CIP AICS mag has not been working out so well for my 338 Norma. The bullet tips are getting smashed. I assume this is from the fact that the shoulder is much further back on the Norma than the Lapua. This allows the case to move forward slamming the bullet tip into the front of the mag. I'm looking for suggestions for creating a new stop in the magazine to fit the 338 Norma case length. I was thinking of two options.
1. Hammering an new indent line on each side of the magazine to replicate what is already there.
2. Using JB weld or putty to create an indent on the inside of the case. Don't really have confidence in the JB sticking well enough for a field gun.

Any ideas?

I tried my option 1 and it distorted the mag too much and was a ton of work.

The better and easier option I had was to weld in rods in the right position and modify the spring. Works flawlessly. Just have to touch up the paint that burns off during the welding.

Good info! In an auto loader I can see where this can be an issue. I didn't think bolt gun were this temperamental. I guess I'll find out with a 110 action using cip length mags for a 264wm. 120 thou shorter than 300wm. Body taper also playing a part. I do have some 3.715 mags that might make a difference? Puts the ammo 135 thou closer.