338 Lupa Imp. fire form load info & specs on new big 338

wildcat

Hey guys, I will be receiving my big 338 Lupa Magnum Improved. It's also known as the 338 Yogi, which was developed by Dave Tooley. I will need a good fire form load. I know there are a few, on LRH, that have the 338 Lupa Improved cartridge, so I am hoping to get some load data for fire forming the cases. Here are the specs, on the new rig, if you guys are interested;

1. Caliber-338 Lupa Improved
2. Action-BAT 10", 2" Diameter
3. Barrel- Lilja 36", 1-10 twist, 1.750 all the way to the muzzle-Very Big!!!
4. Stock-McMillan 50 HBR-Color Green & Black marble-15 pounds of weight has been added to stock
5. Jewel 2oz Trigger
6. Tooley Muzzle Brake
7. Davidson Base w/40 MOA
8. Kelby 30mm Rings
9. Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS w/ Double Dot reticle
10. Weight of rifle will be right at or a little over 60 pounds.

The rifle will be very steady, and I am curious to so how much she recoils. I've heard rifles this heavy barely kick and the beauty about this big baby, it will have a BRAKE!!!

I can't wait, I hoping this big girl is going to help me get in the 1000 and 1500 yard club this year. The 1000, 1500 and 2000 yard clubs are very difficlut to make. I would love to be in this club and join the others like Kirby Allen, Goodgrouper, ect. I admire these guys, it's very difficult to hit a small target at those ranges. You have to have quality equipment to attain these clubs, and I am hoping the big 338 makes it easier.

I am looking forward to receiving this rifle. I have been waiting for approximately 16 months, it was supposed to be finished in March of this year. I've been told it will be completed in the first part of Novemeber, I really hope so! I need to get this bad boy ready for the upcoming varmint season. I had this rifle built for the shots at 1000 to 1500 yards. The 338 Allen Mag will of course be for the ultra long range stuff. The 338 Yogi will fill the gap between my 6x284 and the 338 Allen Mag.

Now, all I need to do is find a rest for this big beast. I have a nice Sinclair Rest, however, it only has room for a 3" forend. The 50 HBR has a 5" forend, so I need to find something that will work without spending tons of money on a new rest. Maybe the good ol sand bags will be the way to go.

Regarding the fire form data, any info would be great. If anyone wants to throw in load data for the fire formed cases that would be appreciated too! I will be using the 300grn Sierra Matchking. What other 300grn bullets are out there in 338 cal. With the 36" barrel, I am hoping to get between 3000 to 3100 fps. As soon as receive her, I will post pics of the big 338 and my other rigs. Thanks guys,

Wildcat

I dont know for sure if a 338 Lupa Imp. (338yogi) is in any way similar to a 338 Lapua (338MOAG) using 338 Lapua brass improved by fireforming,if it is 95gr of RL25 works quite well with a 300grSMK.
UB

I gave you some bad info. start with 85gr RL25 to fireform and 95gr RL25 after fireforming, as with all RL powders you will need to ajust your load to a specific lot, buy at least 10# of the same lot.
UB

Wildcat,

The best way to fire form is the corn meal method, this way your not loosing any barrel life. No bullets are required for this method.

Use a fast burning powder, Unique is one of the best.
You will not get 100% form but very close.

Use 40grns of powder
Top the case off with corn meal
use a wad of toliet paper to secure the contents
Remove the muzzel brake, this is very important!
BOOOOOM, you now have a formed case that has not been over stressed.

Have fun!

UncleB, I believe it's the same case as the MOAG. Is the 338 MOAG a fully blown out improved case? I think the 338 YOGI has a 35% shoulder angle. Thanks for the info regarding the fire form data.

Wildcat

Blackdiamond, that sounds very scary!! I've heard that it works. I might try it out.

Wildcat

BD408, new to the fire forming game, I guess that's why I ment scary. I will have to try it out, it sounds pretty easy to due.

Wildcat

Sounds like a sister rifle to mine with the exception of the stock. I have a Shehane Maxi-tracker. The gun will come back about two inches. Just nice and slow a pleasure to shoot 80 rds. during the day. As for a front rest. I screwed around long enough with the old front I used to shoot the 50 off of years ago. I figured since I had this much treasure in the rifle I should pony up for a good front rest. After doing a lot of research I settled on the Tom Manners 50BMG rest. ABSOLUTELY one of my best purchases. Tom is one of the best folks I've dealt with in my life. The rest is everything that anyone could possibly want. Look at the rest on Mannerstocks.com I think. Fireforming about the same as others. 35-40 grs. Bullseye, unsalted cream of wheat, 1/2 square of toilet paper tamped into the neck with a pencil eraser. Really loud! Thought I could fireform off the back deck.....WRONG! For loads my gun likes 108.5grs. 24N41 w/300 gr SMK, 250gr. Scenar w/98.0grs H1000, 250gr Lockbase w/96.0grs. N170. All these loads used 9 1/2M rem. primers. I have only shot these @300 yards. But they are grouping very well. Hope this helps....Semper Fi

Thanks for info, it will come in handy. I can't wait to get the big girl, I've been waiting for a loooooooooooong time.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts