338 lapua v. 338 edge

TMR I am having one built right now. Dont quote me but I beleive the guy building mine said there was close to a 9% case capacity increase. He says 3050fps with a 300 smk is what they have seen. Also he said the brass does not stretch as compared to the regular 338/300. He has also built 338 lapua A.I. with the same case results.

Asa,

Is the 3050fps with the 300smk for the 338 Edge AI or the Lapua AI? It would definitely be worth it if it was the Edge....I might have to change my mind a little.:D

Asa,

Is the 3050fps with the 300smk for the 338 Edge AI or the Lapua AI? It would definitely be worth it if it was the Edge....I might have to change my mind a little.:D

The 3050 is what MY 338LAI gives me with 300 gr SMKs. My partners 338LAI shot the 300 gr SMKs better at 3020 FPS, a friend I built another 1 for is getting only 2985 with 300 gr SMKs from his 338LAI
Bear in mind that all 3 of these rifles were built with the same batch of Rock Creek barrels, same reamer was used, same Nesika actions and all had about the same barrel length within 1/4 inch.
The Edge AI has extremely close case capacity, when using Nosler brass, to the Lapua brass we are forming for our 338LAIs. I don't know how the case capacity of the Remington brass compares as I don't bother with their brass at all, feeling it is crap compared to the Nosler or Lapua brass.

This is what happens to 1" thick T1 steel gongs at 750 yards shooting 300 gr SMKs from a 338 LAI

IMG_2539.jpg

Last edited:
is that all the way through?

No only 5/8" deep with about a 1/4" backface deformation.
I think if my gongs were not on an axle and were ridgid the bullet may have penetrated fully. I know that with them moving back it absorbs some momentum and enegy. The positive side of this , is that the divets are easier to weld up afterwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.