338 lapua v. 338 edge

diderr

How comparable are the two? accuracy? KE? velocity? I was either looking at getting a AR30m or buying a new barrel for my 700 and getting it chambered in the edge.

they're about as close to a 6 of one and half a dozen to another as you can get. the Edge might hold a couple grains more powder, but because of the brass, the Lapua gets about the same and maybe even "edges" out the other in velocity.

I dont have any experience with the Edge yet, but got my first 338 Lapua last week. I love it. Its a McMillan Tac rifle, 3 shot groups in the .3 range.

Not to jack a post but question for Shawn.

I have a 721 action here thats more than likley gonna get built to a 338 Lapua Improved with a 30" barrel , the bolt will be replaced with a PT&G bolt , with this big of a case rim is the Sako extractor as good as say the custom M-16 style?

The plan is to get a 300gr SMK to 3000 fps , is that possible with the 338 Edge in a 30" barrel?

As to this post , I realy like Lapua brass but the 338 suff is steep hopefully for a hunting gun one will only need 100 pieces. I'm kinda torn between the 338 Edge and 338 Lapua imp , I know the latter will have more speed but their is the hassel of fire forming the case and the case cost.
Any of you guys know what kind of differance in drop and windage 200fps would have on a 300gr SMK at 1000yds?

James,
I put in 2700fps and 2900fps into JBM balistics calculater with the advertised .768 BC for the 300gr MK. These are the low end and top end of what "I" think a 338Edge could do. It shows a difference of 4.2 moa drop and .6 moa full value 10mph wind.

One could always make a 338 Edge AI and still be able to build it off the Remington 700 platform and use the less expensive brass. Been looking at this angle a litle, but I don't seem to find much info on it.

33Lapua-338 edge

James,I have a 30" Edge built by Shawn,and a 338 Yogi (338 Lapua improved) built by Tooley.30"also. Very little difference,at most 100fps.I use 93.5 H1000 in the Edge for 2830fps with 300SMK.95.5H1000 for 2900fps in the Yogi with 300Smk.450 elevation,50% temp.Both loads can be pushed up a little but the difference stays the same with FPS.Both shoot Bugholes. Which would I choose?My main hunting gun is the Edge.Give Shawn Carlock a call.Thanks, Dave.

338 edge ackley improved

TMR I am having one built right now. Dont quote me but I beleive the guy building mine said there was close to a 9% case capacity increase. He says 3050fps with a 300 smk is what they have seen. Also he said the brass does not stretch as compared to the regular 338/300. He has also built 338 lapua A.I. with the same case results.

TMR I am having one built right now. Dont quote me but I beleive the guy building mine said there was close to a 9% case capacity increase. He says 3050fps with a 300 smk is what they have seen. Also he said the brass does not stretch as compared to the regular 338/300. He has also built 338 lapua A.I. with the same case results.

Based on volume of water to establish case capacity 9% is what we have gained in the 338 Edge to Edge AI
Doing the Lapua AI we gained 11% case capacity.
Bear in mind water is hard to get 100% back out of the casing, but is the closest I could come up with that was a medium of constant weight that would completely fill the casings.
In my opinion having the extra case capacity means being able to gain a few more fps with the bigger bullets.
Having the extra capacity did not seem to make any real difference when shooting 250 gr bullets, yes we gained velocity but the accuracy started to fall off.

The Lapua AI thrives on U.S.869 we found. In our rifles 111.5 gr behind a 300 gr SMK delivers the best accuracy and velocity, no pressure signs what so ever, even up to 114 gr
The AI chambering seems to keep the brass from growing, in my own rifle I have 9 reloadings out of the original Lapua brass, never has it been trimmed and it is still totally useable, so I will continue to use it. Every other loading I do bump the shoulder back 1 thou, just so the bolt will close easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts