338 Edge and 338 Lapua AI numbers

I have not shot the excalibur so I didn't list that one. But from what Autorotate says about his add that one to the list of ones well out in front of the ultramag based cartridges. Basically at the top end you have the Excalibur, 338-416 imp, 338-378 wby imp, and 338-378 wby. These will be the top velocity performers and at extreme long range with unknown winds at different ranges to the target velocity matters. All are extremely accurate if done by a top competent gunsmith. So if I were to build a super long range carry rifle today it would be one of these. I like what autorotate says about his excalibur and if brass is available that would be a good choice. It looks like about the same case capacity as the 338-416 imp without all the fuss of necking the 416.

Earlier this year I shot an improved 338-378 wby at over 3200 fps with a 300 grain smk. I put a post in here about it. It had minimal neck dimentions like the Gibbs but was around .3" instead of the .25" like the gibbs. I forgot the shoulder angle but have it written somewhere. But this goes back to what 30006savage said. If you get a fast one wow. A slow one at 3050 fps and your still way ahead of the ultramag stuff and standard lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.