338 lapua or 338-416build

rossi

hi I Would like to get advice on should I by Sako trg cal 338 lapua or
have somone build me a 338 rifle using cz 550 safari action and 416
Rigby cartridge neckd to 338 thanks

For the price of a TRG you can have a custom 338 built, so that is the route I would go.

Look a the Snake 2 in the gun photo section. Just built one. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/snake-2-338-lapua-ack-imp-41682/

If you are going to go the big case route then 338/408 route is the way to go. Bruce Baer has his Big Baer and Kirby Allen has his 338 AM.

If you want a 338 on the 404 case then Mark King at Mark King Custom Rifles in PA builds them and has reamer and dies. He might build on the 338-416 also, but I would go with the 408 first and then the 404 (RWS brass is why). Look at Joel Russo's 3.8 inch group at one mile shot with a Big Baer here on this site.

IMO custom action is the way to go instead of taking an off the shelf and working it over. Normally costs less and will be worth more.

BH

Last edited:
The 338-416 imp is about the most you can get out of a hunting weight rifle. The wildcats off the 408 chey tac case will get you 150 more fps but you are looking at a 16+ pound rifle that costs a fortune to shoot and load for. 416 brass is fairly cheap. With the choices you listed I would do the 338-416 imp custom and I think you will be very satisfied. The only thing that will outshoot it would be something off the chey-tac case or the 50 bmg case. If it is for hunting I have big 338's off the ultramag case, lapua case, 378 wby case and the 416 case. They vary about 300 fps from the slowest to the fastest and I have taken large game with all of them. They all kill very well with about the only difference being the faster ones take a little of the trajectory/wind variable out. Time of flight to target is important.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.