338 Edge - Why?

Pic of swiveling bench that fits in my receiver hitch. We get to a mesa and drop it, put front rest and bags out and start glassing.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 78
Well, thanks guys as always a lot of good info. This year I too hunted with a 6.5 CM and the farthest distance I shot one of the 3 deer I tagged was about 300 yards across a food plot, the closest was about 75 yards through some thick woods and molly floral roses and the last one was on a logging road at about 100 yards. All 3 hit behind the shoulder and the one that was closest to me was the only one I had to track but she only went about 60 yards. So, at the distance I am hunting now I wonder if a 338/06 wouldn't even be a better choice than 6.5 CM. I've been wanting to build a 338/06 on a Savage action all squared and trued with a Hart barrel, Timney trigger ect.. This would give me the perfect excuse. :D I don't hunt the power lines anymore where shots could be out to a 1000 yards, there is too many hunters wandering around to safely shoot that far.

Well, thanks guys as always a lot of good info. This year I too hunted with a 6.5 CM and the farthest distance I shot one of the 3 deer I tagged was about 300 yards across a food plot, the closest was about 75 yards through some thick woods and molly floral roses and the last one was on a logging road at about 100 yards. All 3 hit behind the shoulder and the one that was closest to me was the only one I had to track but she only went about 60 yards. So, at the distance I am hunting now I wonder if a 338/06 wouldn't even be a better choice than 6.5 CM. I've been wanting to build a 338/06 on a Savage action all squared and trued with a Hart barrel, Timney trigger ect.. This would give me the perfect excuse. :D I don't hunt the power lines anymore where shots could be out to a 1000 yards, there is too many hunters wandering around to safely shoot that far.

If I had the money to try something that might not hit my needs I would build a 338-06AI in a heartbeat. I'm afraid of it because of the extended ranges we shoot but would love to see if I could make it work as a 1 gun solution for me. Lighter than the big guns and yet hold enough energy to 1K. I don't mind limiting shot distance to 1K as long as its devastating out to that range. I have smoked a lot of stuff where the energy level is well below a 300 yd 338-06 so I am sure it would work for me but at 1K it will be getting a little slow and may not expand.
For you though it would be an absolute hammer with some 250s or even 225s. Some guys around here used to even run the 160 and 180 Barnes stuff at WARP speed from big guns back before rangefinders and they were nasty. A 338-06 could run any of that stuff and be a hammer.

When I first came aboard LRH in 2009, I had some discussions with member LongTimeLongRanger regarding the .338 Win Mag. With what was available at the time, he believed that its practical limit was 700 to 800 yards, with 225's launched around 2900, in a carry weight rifle.

Since then, better powders and bullets offer the possibility of expanding those limits. The same advances also offer the possibility of radically improving 338-06 performance. If one is interested in going that route, I believe the AI version would be able to take better advantage of recent advances in components. From a 26" barrel, 3000+ with 200 grain bullets is not out of the question for an AI.

Better yet, there will soon be a .338 Sherman, which I believe will be worth the wait.

Either way, the -06 class .338's (along with the .338 Win Mag) can make for an attractive package in a carry weight rifle, with careful component selection and realistic expectations for effective range. Depending on shooter tolerance and equipment variables, a muzzle brake might be a worthwhile addition to the package.

Great thread! I have two 338s both are the 338 RCM. The sporter @ 7 1/2 lbs has taken care of three elk in the woods out to 200 yds, with authority. Using 225 accubonds @ 2770 fps never found a bullet.

The other 338 RCM is long throated for the 300 gr berger. It has a 30" barrel and sends that heavy bullet out at sluggish 2525 fps. It has amazing accuracy and wind bucking abilities. It weighs just under 14 lbs and has taken one coues wt a just over 400 yds. I mostly shoot it at steel and rocks as the recoil is not unpleasant and can shoot multiple rounds with barrel only getting warm. I figure with only 56 gr of powder this barrel will last my lifetime, the reason for building this package....

I often think of making another 338 by necking down the 375 Ruger. It would make a wonderful compromise between the 338 Edge and the 338 RCM/ 338-06AI.

If anyone has any doubts on how well those 300 gr bullets fly, crunch the numbers and you will be amazed. My sluggish 338 RCM with the 300s at 4000 ft (our deer areas elev) drifts 8.8" @ 500 yds in a 10 mph crosswind with 3070 ft/lb of energy!

Imagine what any of the larger 338 cartridges would do!

If I had the money to try something that might not hit my needs I would build a 338-06AI in a heartbeat. I'm afraid of it because of the extended ranges we shoot but would love to see if I could make it work as a 1 gun solution for me. Lighter than the big guns and yet hold enough energy to 1K. I don't mind limiting shot distance to 1K as long as its devastating out to that range. I have smoked a lot of stuff where the energy level is well below a 300 yd 338-06 so I am sure it would work for me but at 1K it will be getting a little slow and may not expand.
For you though it would be an absolute hammer with some 250s or even 225s. Some guys around here used to even run the 160 and 180 Barnes stuff at WARP speed from big guns back before rangefinders and they were nasty. A 338-06 could run any of that stuff and be a hammer.

Thanks toddc, I'm going to give this new gunsmith in the area a call and see what we can come up with. I have a Savage model 110 in 30/06 that I picked up some time ago for this very idea but because the gunsmith I always deal with didn't want to work on Savage rifles I set it aside. I do like the idea of a 338/06AI an extra 150 to 200 fps won't hurt with a muzzle brake.

Great thread! I have two 338s both are the 338 RCM. The sporter @ 7 1/2 lbs has taken care of three elk in the woods out to 200 yds, with authority. Using 225 accubonds @ 2770 fps never found a bullet.

The other 338 RCM is long throated for the 300 gr berger. It has a 30" barrel and sends that heavy bullet out at sluggish 2525 fps. It has amazing accuracy and wind bucking abilities. It weighs just under 14 lbs and has taken one coues wt a just over 400 yds. I mostly shoot it at steel and rocks as the recoil is not unpleasant and can shoot multiple rounds with barrel only getting warm. I figure with only 56 gr of powder this barrel will last my lifetime, the reason for building this package....

I often think of making another 338 by necking down the 375 Ruger. It would make a wonderful compromise between the 338 Edge and the 338 RCM/ 338-06AI.

If anyone has any doubts on how well those 300 gr bullets fly, crunch the numbers and you will be amazed. My sluggish 338 RCM with the 300s at 4000 ft (our deer areas elev) drifts 8.8" @ 500 yds in a 10 mph crosswind with 3070 ft/lb of energy!

Imagine what any of the larger 338 cartridges would do!
I had been looking into a mid level 338 for a 1 gun system. Hard to get the Lapau/Edge stuff under 10lbs accurately and without kicking your head off. My 14.4lb Lapua has got some recoil but its manageable, I'm just used to 40lbers that don't kick at all. I bet that 14lb RCM is sweet.
I have a short action Choate tactical I need to build off of and had been thinking either 338RCM or 338WSM on a Savage action. It was just easier to buy the Lapua. May have to spin a mid level 338 together.
A 338 300gr even LOAFING is a trainwreck on deer. Looks like you dropped a hand grenade down their throats.

Thanks toddc, I'm going to give this new gunsmith in the area a call and see what we can come up with. I have a Savage model 110 in 30/06 that I picked up some time ago for this very idea but because the gunsmith I always deal with didn't want to work on Savage rifles I set it aside. I do like the idea of a 338/06AI an extra 150 to 200 fps won't hurt with a muzzle brake.
Gunsmith? Gunsmith? We don't need no stinkin gunsmith.:)
Go get a Mcgowen, CBI, Shilen or other prefit barrel, spin it on and go to town!
Savages are stupidly easy to build. If I can do it ANYONE can. You can spin on a 338-06AI barrel onto that rig for about $300+$100 for a brake. Add a good stock for $100-$500 and go shoot it. If you can reload, or boil water, you CAN BUILD A SAVAGE. Seriously though, if you have a grasp of reloading, barreling a Savage is well within your capabilities. I don't think you will have any problems, you will save $$$ AND you did it yourself and its your baby.
Tons of info on here and Savageshooters.com and all over the net. Good luck either way you go.

In stock. Now it says not in stock. ER Shaw has them.
Yeah its a Shaw BUT I have built a lot of .5MOA rigs with Shaw barrels. Never had one that wouldn't go under 1MOA. Most will hit .75 with some tweaking.
Point is for $199 you can be banging away with a 338-06AI + dies and bullets. Just a thought.

SAVAGE 110 REPLACEMENT BARREL KIT | Brownells

Last edited:
In stock. Now it says not in stock. ER Shaw has them.
Yeah its a Shaw BUT I have built a lot of .5MOA rigs with Shaw barrels. Never had one that wouldn't go under 1MOA. Most will hit .75 with some tweaking.
Point is for $199 you can be banging away with a 338-06AI + dies and bullets. Just a thought.

SAVAGE 110 REPLACEMENT BARREL KIT | Brownells

Thanks again, checking it out on the internet. I'll be set up by next hunting season, and by the way, what a great black bear caliber. If I can I'll post pics when it's done.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.