338 Edge vs 338 Lapua AI with 300 grain pills.

Just updated the thread and with the new info of a Rem action single feed a 338 edge is as good as you can do. An Lapua class case is a bad idea waiting to become worse and your not maximizing the case any way.

Does anyone know what the H2O level is For the standard lapua and the improved/and the standard edge and the improved edge?

Tom

Lapua Improved to all those questions.
What he said. I reload for my LAI and my brothers Edge. Both with 27" + brake Brux barrels both with 300 grain Bergers, both mag fed, both shoot great. My LAI outpaces his edge easily by over 100fps. Not a big deal but it is what it is.

The Advise already given a few times above is all you need to know to make your choice... Standard Action = 338 Edge but I would go with a Watts Box also... Custom Action go with the Lapua improved...Both the Standard Edges I had shot the same load... 300gr Berger at 3008 fps when loaded with 102gr of Reloader 33 ... 3.912 OAL..101.5 grs also shot great in these guns and was 2980fps... with the 30 inch barrels.

Does anyone know what the H2O level is For the standard lapua and the improved/and the standard edge and the improved edge?

Tom

my standard 338 Lapua , using Lapua brand brass . a fired , unsized case holds 116 grain of water . with the water even to the top of the neck .

I shoot 300 gr berger E hunter bullets , Fed 215 primer , Lapua brass , 102.5 gr RL33 , 2930 FPS from my 30 inch bbl .

Tom

A standard Rem edge case unfired holds 116grs h20
The improved 40* edge fired unsized case holds 119grs h20

Depending on the design the 338 Lapua AI case can hold up to 125gr h20.

A standard Rem edge case unfired holds 116grs h20
The improved 40* edge fired unsized case holds 119grs h20

Depending on the design the 338 Lapua AI case can hold up to 125gr h20.
Are you measuring at the bottom of the neck or as jim, above has spoken to the top?

Tom

Just updated the thread and with the new info of a Rem action single feed a 338 edge is as good as you can do. An Lapua class case is a bad idea waiting to become worse and your not maximizing the case any way.

Not sure I understand. Why is a single feed the best you can do? With the Wyatts box and a mod to the bolt stop I feed 285 ELDX in the Edge from the mag in a 700 clone.

poorly worded question leading to multiple answers that may or may not apply. later a "comparison" that is not a comparison.
define the task of the rifle,, single or mag fed, target, hunting, carried or not.
THE STD for case volume measurement is to the top of the neck. NOT THE SHOULDER.
my adg and the bertram 338 edge cases hold 114 unfired.
powder choice is a mix of bullet weight and bbl length.
so define the actual question, and everyone try again.
i made my choice on the edge as i did not WANT to go to the lm at this time, maybe the next rifle.
300 bergers at 4.0"+, 28" bbl i expect between 2750 and 2850 depending on powder.
single fed in a kelbly's golden bear action, alex's lrb stock, target rifle not a hunting rifle.

So for anyone that is in the know which case is going to provide more horsepower out the gate with barrel length being equal and which one will give you better case life? Thanks for the info.

not really, the volume ABOVE A SEATED BULLET is what counts, but you start with a STANDARD volume to the top of the neck.
The mesurment that matters is the one that allows for powder, at the bottom of the neck! That's The measurement I was asking about.

Tom

Not sure I understand. Why is a single feed the best you can do? With the Wyatts box and a mod to the bolt stop I feed 285 ELDX in the Edge from the mag in a 700 clone.

Seat the best bullets in the best position and your over 4 inches long, the longest wyatts by the time you get done fitting it you've cut through the back into the trigger slot and you've nearly eliminated a bolt stop better to install a side bolt release, your bolt has almost no support when full back and you'll be cutting a fair bit into most cheek pieces. At that length your camming the loaded round out of the mag by the bullet and feed ramp, not an excellent way to treat precision ammo.
I've never had someone not regret the 4 inch box, it's easier to just toss them in and run as a single shot, most are set up that way.
I almost never build EDGES once guys see what the RUM does and it's just short enough to tuck into the Rem action nicer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.