338 Edge vs 338 Lapua ??

in one word COST

The Lapua requires a larger action the cases are 3 times the cost and the performance of the two is the same. The easiest way to get a high capacity 338 is to build an Edge on a Rem magnum action if you have a sendaro on hand with a 338 Ultra barrel you can just have the barrel rechambered and you have an edge. To build a 338 Ultra you require a larger action designed for the Lapua case some do the mod to a Rem action but i dont think it is safe and the extra cost to have the conversion done is a waste when the Ultra mag case will fit the action. The only advantage of the 338Lapua it the brass Quality but if you sort the Rem brass it is verry good. I am building a 338-300 Ultra improved at the moment for the exact reasons stated above.

Hope it helps out

Cheers Bill
Australia

+1
What Bill said.

If cost is not an issue, I would go with a 338 Lapua improved. But in my opinion a larger action
is needed (It doesn't have to be but with the increase in bolt loading because of the larger case head) I just think it works better because of the larger bolt and face. I use Mark 5 Weatherby actions for any case head larger than a Magnum bolt face for this reason.

If cost is an issue then the 338 edge or even the 338 Edge improved would be a good option.

Performance is the same if you stay with SAMME pressures, the Lapua can be more if loaded hotter
because the brass can take it (If that is your thing) even though I don't recommend overloads.

The 338 Edge improved will work in most modern magnum long actions like the Remington,
Winchester, Sako, Browning ,ETC.

There are good arguments for both cartridges so it just comes down to what you want. (Both will fill your needs.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.