338 edge question

Every 338 RUM I've built runs a 300 gr in the 2800-2850 range and the 250 at 3100 fps with H1000 or Retumbo. I haven't ever had anyone want an edge rebarreled back to an edge, everyone has been rebarreled to a RUM or a Lapua.
What approx COAL? Would I be killing it's potential trying to make it mag feed at around 3.76"coal?

300's yes you'd be loosing but the 250's run like butter in a mag and they shoot awesome with jump. I run a Sammi reamer which fits the 300's perfect but the Noslers are the rage so I haven't built a 338 in a while, I'll see where my buddy seats the 300, I think it's 2.8 something.

I started running the 250 elites charged up with RL26 in my Lapua this year. It's true, they feed like butter and they get down range fast.

The 250s are more than capable. Especially at 3100 fps.

Are you saying a 338 rum+P with a coal of around 3.76 pushing a 300gr bullet would be well over 2900fps? That sounds like a great hunting setup!

No, more around 2850.

I don't know if this would work with the +P design but if you want to run 300's over 2900 fps with an Edge and still run it mag fed you can use a BDL style wyatts 3.990" mag box. I have an EDGE IMP ( different from the +P) and I can run the 300 SMK at 3.960" from the mag with a velocity of 2950fps. Although I have switched to the 300 Berger and run a 4.105" oal now single feeding.

I'd rather single feed then go through the trouble of building a big 338 only to restrict its performance by making it a repeater.
Thanks for the info and help guys!

I haven't ever had anyone want an edge rebarreled back to an edge, everyone has been rebarreled to a RUM or a Lapua.
Why is that bud? I'm wanting to rebarrel a rem 700 into a rum or 338. I'd love to hear experiences you've had, thanks

I run my Edge at 3.95". It is a repeater using a Wyatt's extended box and a decent amount of modification to the Stiller action to make room for the rounds to feed up and the bolt to come back and pick them up.

I'm not aware of a reasonable detachable mag system which does not severely neuter the Edge. I've done it with the internal mag, 2970 fps with 102gr Re33 and a 30" tube. If you have to go shorter the RUM starts looking attractive.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.