Couple of 338 Edge questions

Tyler,
I've got the other Edge that TMR built and the way they're balanced and offhand shot would be possible. Everything just worked out right on this build and they're not barrel-heavy at all. Would probably consider going with a 30" barrel next time to make it easier finding a case this thing will fit in. :)

Sounds good...32" it will be I guess. I'd probably put a bit of weight in the stock as well to get 15-16 lbs, should be balanced well. I'm used to heavy rifle for smallbore competition, I like shooting targets at long range offhand.

jwp475...
Who wrapped your barrel?. I have 2 that are Christensen Arms Customs and done load work for another three, all wrapped of course. From a hunting stand point these Christensen carbon wrapped guns in sizes up to 30Cal are really the most practical hunting rifles I have ever used or seen.

My barrel is an ABS barrel. Mine is a Rock Creek barrel that is turned by Rock Creek and then sent to ABS to be wrapped. The type of Carbon Fiber used by ABS diispates heat much better than all steel as was proven by goodgrooper with a thermal imaging camera..

When I had my Edge built by Kirby he recommended a 30 inch #7 Lilja. I was told anything heavier would be too stressful on my Rem action unless I had it block bedded. I could have went with a smaller contour but with that length anything smaller then the #7 (what I would call a semi heavy contour) could cause excess barrel whip. So a 30 inch #7 Lilja it was, with Holland QD. This thing, to me, is hard to shoot accurately off hand because it is very unbalanced/barrel heavy.
If those guys are shooting a cartridge with a smaller caliber round in a larger caliber rifle to neck it up they are taking a big gamble if you ask me. Why not just run the brass through your sizing dies? Works for me at least....:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.