338 edge load questions

Jeff if you don't get one I can stick a case in my lathe and drill it out. I have a 5/16-36 tap if you have a stoney point.

Looks to me like you are doing fine with what you are using, I agree with the above post, I would not worry about squeezing the absolute max velocity out of your loading, your groups are good.

Also your barrel will last longer if you do not constantly put the hottest loads through it, you may even be having a slightly slower than normal break in.

I suggest you stay with your current loading for a bit longer to see if there is any more change.

Here is a pic from the other day with my rifle.

Attachments

• 100_5773.jpg
    100_5773.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 57
Ok I had some chances to play a little. I was shooting 91.5 grains of h1000 with the 250 primer and 300 berger. Shot tremendous even at 1827. Then the next day I went back to shoot for some video. And was high with the same conditions as the night before. Then the groups opened up. So I went back to the drawing board. One load stood out in my mind that was 88.5. I decided to test this load along with 89.0 gn

So In the mean time I put together another edge with a shorter barrel. The other one I believe finished at 29+ the brake. I stuck it in a hs precision stock and had a 20 moa rail and a huskemaw that I stuck on it. This gun was not bedded but has a hollad oversize recoil lug in it. It fit very snug.
I also finished a 6.5-284 that I was playing with as well tonight. I will show you a target of it as well. It shows some promise.

What I found tonight was weird both guns shot the exact same groups and same group formation. I was dumbfounded by it. But here is what happened.

I do have to say that the short barrel need a stick of mercury it is light and has alot more recoil.

Attachments

• DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 54
I did not note but what I have seen before noticed in my records happened again I believe. I had 63 rounds through this gun when the groups changed. I had this happen once before at 55 rounds. So I wonder if the barrel really just broke in. And on this edge I stuck 8 ounces of mercury in it. Was 12.25 pounds before the mercury.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.