338 Edge build question??

longrangefreek

I Just recieved my Barrel for my 338 EDGE. Yah!! only took 6 months to get. I am installing it myself on a savage action and I just finished headspacing it and went to load a round into it and it would not extract the shell but does extract the GO Gauge just fine. I looked at my brass and noticed that after I loaded them that the case is a tad shorter than before I sized the brass. My question to all of you who know way more than me on this is... Is it safe to fire those bullets out of the gun or do I need to pull the bullets and re do the brass? I am using a 338 ultra mag die cause the 338 EDGE dies I ordered 5 months ago from Z-hat customs has not come in.

Safe to shoot or not to shoot? Hope someone can help me

I wouldn't shoot yet.

What are you using for a go-guage?

Have you tried headspacing off of the sized brass?

After doing the above, then use two pieces of scotch tape on the base. Then try to close again. The thickness of the two pieces act as a no-go gauge. Should not close.

Tank

Last night while lying in bed not getting a wink of sleep I thought of trying to headspace to the sized brass.

the headspacing gage was a Go Gauge for the 338 Edge from Shawn Carlock. When I headspaced it everything was great when I added the scotch tape to the end. the bolt did not want to close.

What I am seeing is that the overall length of the brass is OK after sizing but the shoulder breaks a little shorter after sizing. Maybe I will try to headspace to the sized brass this morning to see what happens. thanks for the quick replies and if anyone else can give some advise please do so. I am new to the edge or any wildcats to be exact. can use all of the help I can on this one. putting the gun together is easy but this kind of stuff I am running into I need assistance.

thanks again.

I went and checked the headspacing using the actual case and it would not grab the shell. I set back and calmed my frustrations and thought for a moment and decided to check something real quick. I went down to my reloading bench and reset the 338 RUM die I have. I set it to where it would only expand the neck. checked the brass shoulder height and it was back to normal length. I set the casing into the gun and closed bolt, reopened and walla the case came out like it was supposed to. to bad for me I have reloaded different loads to a total of 25 rounds. I need to pull bullets and start over. Kind of a time consuming and frustrating redo but at least I found the problem.

As you found out you have adjusted your 338 RUM die to far down causing a shoulder bump back. The brass is now unusable as you have created an excessive headspace issue. Set the barrel for the gauge as you already have done and round file the brass with the short headspace. This is one of the reasons I recommed 338 Edge dies. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

thanks for the message Shawn. I have already round filed the casings, luckally it was only 25 of them. I ordered dies fro a company back in April that I have found out likes to take your money but will not respond to any emails on when I might see my dies. I have a feeling that I have got hosed and that this company is a Joke. I wish I was not worried about the cost of the dies and got them from Defensive Edge cause I probably would have them by now. By the way has anyone heard of Z-Hat Customs, and if have did they treat you well. In My oppinion the company is junk, bad at returning email which is all I have to go by cause he gives no phone #, and I guess just to get a set of dies from them you have to wait longer than it takes to get your gun built. I will never order anything from that company ever again. Looks like I will have to save up and buy the dies I should of a long time ago. I think some one told me once that it is not always smart to buy cheep, you get what you pay for. but in this case I still have not got what I paid for.

As you found out you have adjusted your 338 RUM die to far down causing a shoulder bump back. The brass is now unusable as you have created an excessive headspace issue. Set the barrel for the gauge as you already have done and round file the brass with the short headspace. This is one of the reasons I recommed 338 Edge dies. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

My guess is that you can simply expand the neck of the "bad" cases up to 35 cal, and then neck size them back down to .338 just enough so that the case is now headspacing off of the new sholder. The bolt should close stiff on the case. FF the case to your chamber....like we do when we form "dasher" cases.

You can do that, it is just tha the time, effort and fire froming are just not worth it to me. Thanks for bringing it up though, not everyone dislikes spending time at the reloading bench and I forget that sometimes.

I live in the same town as Z Hat customs and had thought about a purchase when I went to the address they had listed,it was a ups hub and not the buisness listed. I do not know who they are and if they are shady. That was just my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.