338 edge problem

danj

I've had some trouble getting some of my 338 edge loads to chamber. (The bolt will not close) The brass(Remington) is on it's third to forth load. The bullet is not touching the lands (.010 off.)The brass is trimmed to length .When I pull the load the empty brass chambers with no problem,but when I seat the bullet it will not chamber. Happens to every one out of four or five loads. Load is 300 gr SMK. Could the brass be the problem?

Thanks Dan

Check the run out on the ones that don't chamber. See if there's a noticable scrape on one side of the bullet (between the ogive and case) after trying to chamber it.

Make sure that the crimp on the seater die does not reform the case when seating the bullet. This can happen when it is turned into the press too low. Setup the seater die by taking the case to the top of the press. Then screw the seater die in until it get stuck against the case neck. The turn the seater die out at least two full turns. This will prevent the seater die to crimp the case neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.