338 edge problem

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by danj, Feb 5, 2013.

1. danj

danj Well-Known Member

I've had some trouble getting some of my 338 edge loads to chamber. (The bolt will not close) The brass(Remington) is on it's third to forth load. The bullet is not touching the lands (.010 off.)The brass is trimmed to length .When I pull the load the empty brass chambers with no problem,but when I seat the bullet it will not chamber. Happens to every one out of four or five loads. Load is 300 gr SMK. Could the brass be the problem?

Thanks Dan

2. DCGS

DCGS <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Check the size of your necks with the loaded round. Sounds like the brass may be springing back after you size it. Dan

3. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

Unless your chamber has a build up it sounds like time to read "the art of annealing".

4. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

+1 for annealing

5. danj

danj Well-Known Member

Did aneal after second reload on brasss. Used 650 template. Maybe not enuogh heat?

6. kermodie

kermodie Active Member

Check the run out on the ones that don't chamber. See if there's a noticable scrape on one side of the bullet (between the ogive and case) after trying to chamber it.

7. Chase Curtis

Chase Curtis Official LRH Sponsor

i agree with above posts.. anneal and check runout on necks... try turning them down just to bump off the high spots...

8. Reloader222

Reloader222 Well-Known Member

Make sure that the crimp on the seater die does not reform the case when seating the bullet. This can happen when it is turned into the press too low. Setup the seater die by taking the case to the top of the press. Then screw the seater die in until it get stuck against the case neck. The turn the seater die out at least two full turns. This will prevent the seater die to crimp the case neck.