338 Edge loading problem

Hotrod617

When putting a loaded round in my new Edge, the bolt will not lock down. I checked OAL to be 3.900 with Berger 300gr. I checked brass (Rem) new and bolt cycled fine. expanded neck with .336 expander and bolt cycles fine afterward. Seat bullet and bolt won't cycle. I have gone to 3.755 OAL with same bullet and bolt still won't cycle. Measured out side of the case at shoulder new is .521, after neck expanding it went to .521-.522. Seat bullet and shoulder goes to .525-.526 and bolt won't cycle. I lube before neck expanding and have tried lubing and without lubing inside the neck before seating. I have also tried lubing inside the neck and the bullet without success. I assume (yes I know...) that since this is basically a .300 RUM case necked up to accept the .338 you don't need to full length resize. I bought the Redding two die set for the .338 Edge, along with the seating depth micrometer adjuster. It looks to me like all the two dies do is expand the neck and seat the bullet. There does not seem to be any messaging of the case at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to set the shoulder back just a little. I had this happen with a factory 300WSM with new brass, and had to grind the skirt of the sizing die a little to facilitate shoulder set-back. I never shot factory loaded ammo in that rifle but suspect they wouldn't have chambered.

It sounds like you need to set the shoulder back just a little. I had this happen with a factory 300WSM with new brass, and had to grind the skirt of the sizing die a little to facilitate shoulder set-back. I never shot factory loaded ammo in that rifle but suspect they wouldn't have chambered.

Why would you say that?

He said that sized and expanded brass works fine. It only fails to load after the bullet is seated, regardless of OAL.

I will check with the rifle maker...

Hey Len. What is the neck chamber dimension??? LOL

Bill

If you dont have an oal gauge or any way to check the cahmber, I would take a black sharpie and color the case shoulder, neck and bullet, run it in and look for contact. It will give you a rough idea of what is going on until you get the chamber specs.

Rimfire,

Thanks for the reply.
I do have an OAL gauge and used it to determine the 3.900 OAL. How can I use it to check the chamber?

Bill

Re: 338 Edge loading problem (fixed)

After thinking about this overnight I thought I would try the Nosler Brass I had. Using the exact same procedures I had no problems at all. Loaded to 3.885 OAL which is 15 thou. off the lands and everything is peachy. Anybody had any loading problems out of Remington Brass??? Just curious.

Oh yes, after loading about 10 rounds of the Nosler I tried a Remington again and had the same problem I started this thread with...

Thanks again for the help
Bill

Take a micrometer or calipers and measure the neck on both remington and nosler brass loaded with a bullet. If the remington brass measures larger, than I would say you've found your problem. You might have got a batch of extra thick brass...

I have had super luck witht he remmy brass thinking the edge was the most easiest forgiving wildcat to load. Would say like someone else mentioned must got a batch of bad brass.
Mike

Franklin, MIke33

thanks for the reply. I checked the necks and they are the same. I think it happens when I seat the bullet. I believe it is crushing the shoulder down and that is where it sticks going into the chamber. You can feel the difference in seating between the Remington and the Nosler brass. It is much harder to seat with the Remington brass. same bullets, expander die, and lube used on both. It almost feels like the Remington brass is "harder?" and crushes back on the shoulder..

Go figure.

Bill

Dang, I ve been shooting the edge for over 2 years now and had great luck. I purchased a 338 mandrell from Sinclair ran thru it along with fl die loaded and shot. Hope you get it working. I had this problem a few years ago with a custom 25x284 and found the winchester brass i was using had so many variations.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.