.338 EDGE resizing problem

justgoharder

I'm trying to load up some rounds for my 338/300RUM, after i sized up each piece of virgin brass I loaded 20 rounds.

While shooting these loads I noticed that a few of them felt tight in the chamber while some felt normal. What i mean by that is while closing the bolt of a few of the rounds the handle had a little resistance when closing the bolt. and some of the rounds didn't have the resistance.

after noticing this I went back home and started chambering some of my unfired brass (that hasn't been loaded) that has only been through the 338 sizing mandrel. some of these unfired and unloaded brass are the same; some have resistance when chambering and some dont.

Next, i though maybe i should FL size the brass just to make sure, even though my understanding is that with virgin brass a FL sizing isn't necessary. well after putting one that was hard to close and one that closed easily through the FL size die nothing changed!

so what should i do?

do i need to worry?

I can't imagine that each loaded round will shoot the same if some appear to be slightly longer than others...

thanks for your help!

If this really bugs you to find the cause of the hard chambering you could get a good micrometer and measure the brass to see where it deviates but it wouldn't change them. If it were me, I would measure the case length of each case and trim as necessary to make them all the length of the shortest case i.e; uniform size. Then load them up and shoot them. After this they will be fireformed to your rifle's chamber.

I have 2 edges and i had the same thing with virgin brass. Both guns shot accurate. Nothing to worry about,the second time loaded they will chamber easy.

I'm trying to load up some rounds for my 338/300RUM, after i sized up each piece of virgin brass I loaded 20 rounds.

While shooting these loads I noticed that a few of them felt tight in the chamber while some felt normal. What i mean by that is while closing the bolt of a few of the rounds the handle had a little resistance when closing the bolt. and some of the rounds didn't have the resistance.

after noticing this I went back home and started chambering some of my unfired brass (that hasn't been loaded) that has only been through the 338 sizing mandrel. some of these unfired and unloaded brass are the same; some have resistance when chambering and some dont.

Next, i though maybe i should FL size the brass just to make sure, even though my understanding is that with virgin brass a FL sizing isn't necessary. well after putting one that was hard to close and one that closed easily through the FL size die nothing changed!

so what should i do?

do i need to worry?

I can't imagine that each loaded round will shoot the same if some appear to be slightly longer than others...

thanks for your help!

The hard to close ones may be to long, IE Trim length is not the same and on custom chambers
the chamber necks may be short,

Also the fact that nothing changed ,check the loaded neck diameter to see if they are to thick
for the neck dia.

Next check the head space of the easy ones and then the hard ones. if it is different then the dies are not set correctly.

They should all chamber easy to snug but not hard. after fire forming they should be the same
but if there is a problem with neck dia. or length you may exceed SAAMI chamber pressures
So be careful.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.