338 Edge (in pieces)

Winmag,

This is a Brux Barrel with what they call "interrupted fluting". Trueblue turned me onto Brux and this fluting, It looks really nice. Brux is great to work with and delivered what i asked for. I will use them again when I rebarrle my 300 RUM in a few years.

Winmag,

This is a Brux Barrel with what they call "interrupted fluting". Trueblue turned me onto Brux and this fluting, It looks really nice. Brux is great to work with and delivered what i asked for. I will use them again when I rebarrle my 300 RUM in a few years.

Thanks, Ive seen it a couple times before, but never caught what you called it. Very cool. Looks sweet. How much (ball-park) do they ding you for a barrel like that?
And does it cut down on wieght considerabely, or is it more for helping cooling, and good looks?
Ive hered of Brux before, but havent ever looked into them. How do they stack up compared to say, Lilja, Hart, Shilen etc. for accuracy?
In the mean time, Im gonna try and find thier website.

Winmag,

From what I hear Brux was started by a guy who worked at Kreger/Kriger Barrels. He wanted to start his own business so he did. This is the first Brux (and first after market barrel) i have owned. With shipping the barrel ran 385.00. Not sure how much weight this fluting takes away. I needed a gun a bit lighter than my brothers since I will not always have his horses to pack my gun (like he does). Brux competes with the other barrel makers without any trouble. My brother has a Brux that is going on his 284 Thor that is being built as we speak. Check them out I really like the guys at Brux the are GREAT to work with. Cant wait to send them a barrel report once this guy is scoped up, and I get a new trigger on it. Hope this helped.

Welcome

Thank you. I checked them out and am very intreagued. They look awesome!
Cant wait to here how yours performs. Good luck

Here it is as complete as it will be until I have saved up for a Nightforce with NPR-1 reticule. Just have to level the scope, work up a load and sight it in (already bore sighted with a Leupold bore sight). It has a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 AO with MilDot reticule with Anti Cant Level, Nightforce 20 MOA base and Burris Signature Zee rings, And a Timney trigger that arrived today.

Have not decided if I will paint the stock yet still thinking about it. Can't believe it's ready to shoot. It tips the scales at 12 lbs if my Cabelas fish scale is correct. I will have to find a certified scale for a true weight.

Again I would like to thank my brother for all his help and time, Trueblue for his time and talks on the phone that helped get me started (and stay) in the right direction.

Thanks Len for hosting a GREAT sight, it has been a big help with this and other projects, and Sawn Carlock for his time developing this round and his products that I used to make this build possible.

EdgewithBushnell3200002.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, Cordell.
The interupted fluting takes off slightly less weight than normal fluting. Just shy of 1/2# depending on barrel contour.
I have a few Brux barrels, and every one of them has been a shooter and very easy to break in and clean. The 7 RSAUM pistol Jim See just built me with a Brux barrel has shown zero copper during break in.

All right here are the first targets from the 338. Went to the range and shot one round and cleaned, repeat. The 91 Gr Group was rushed due to time and weather. Targets were at 100 Yards. 10 more shot and clean rounds to go.

338Shots2-7.jpg

338Shots8-10.jpg

Cordell, interesting the tightest group seems to have the highest velocity spread but, what a great group. In fact they're all pretty good groups. Nice shooting.

OOOOOOHHHH. Me thinks you found the 'smith for my 243AI brother.
All parts have been ordered. Did you ask about the reamer?
The Brux barrel is 10 weeks out.
Travis got the bolt from PP&G, having the handle welded on. The 284 Thor should be done soon. It will be another test for the Brux Barrels. Everything I have seen about them so far pleases me.gun)

Well its true..... with 90gr, it shoots as good as it looks. Youve realy got me going on this Brux thing now. That interupted flueting is just plain awesome. Ive never been a fan of stainless or shiny metal on my rifles, but the way that thing sets on yours sure has given me a change of heart. I keep reading posts where this person or that has a Brux bbl, and so far everyone is pleased.
Thanks for all the info on them. And congrats on your new toy! looks like its gonna be a shooter especially seeing as how that 90gr group was during break in. Wow.

Well its true..... with 90gr, it shoots as good as it looks. Youve realy got me going on this Brux thing now. That interupted flueting is just plain awesome. Ive never been a fan of stainless or shiny metal on my rifles, but the way that thing sets on yours sure has given me a change of heart. I keep reading posts where this person or that has a Brux bbl, and so far everyone is pleased.
Thanks for all the info on them. And congrats on your new toy! looks like its gonna be a shooter especially seeing as how that 90gr group was during break in. Wow.[/QUOT

WINMAG,
If you don't want to have the shine of stainless you can get it covered in GUN-KOTE.
That is what I am doing with my 284 Thor with stainless metal.
Travis at RBROS rifles can do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.