338 Edge (in pieces)

Cordell

DSC_1701.jpg
Just got the Brux Barrel on the 7the of April, it was the last part i was waiting for. I had to take a pic with every thing laying out. I know it is not the usual gun pick but I could not wait to share.

I am in the process of choosing the gunsmith who will build this gun. I may have found one 8 minutes from my house.

Hopefully the next time you see these parts they will be all together and have a scoped mounted on it, and have an awesome target showing that i am the proud new owner of one HECK of a long range hunting rifle!!!!!!! Have been dreaming, saving (and selling guns and other stuff) for this gun little over a year. Have wanted a .338 cal gun for over 10 years.

Stats:

30 Inch Brux barrel with interrupted fluting
HS Precision PSS stock aluminum bedding block
Rem 700 Long Action (From 300 RUM)
Wyatt's extended box magazine
DE recoil lug
DE muzzle brake
DE cheek piece (not pictured)
Floor Plate, spring and follower (from 300 RUM)

Thanks Robert (my brother) for your time and assistance with this build. You will be the second shooter of this boy when he is all together.

Thanks Craig for allowing me to shot with you. You will be one of the first to shot this boy when he is done.

I can not forget Jim (Trueblue), his time and advise he provided over this last year. I can say if it was not for Jim and Robert I would not have the chance to have this rifle. Thanks you two.

And I do not want to leave out LRH its members and its founder this site is a good resource for knowledge that has assisted me and many others with there builds, Thank you all.
338Edge

Last edited:
Great ideah to post a pic like this ! Many of us are still dreaming and we get to share a part of your dream that is coming a reality . I long for the day that I get as close to it as you are now. Congrats and maybe soon we will see a nice target with some .338 clover leaf groups at Long range:)

BigBuck

Cordell,
Who are you using for a smith ?
Anyone on this site ?
Look what got started when I sold mine to your brother Robert.
JIM

Great list of components, good luck with the build and keep us posted. Thanks for sharing.

Jim,

I found my smith localy, he was highly recomended by another smith who is no longer building guns. He has done some work with some of the Special Forces Groups and has won 200 yard bench rest compatitions with the guns he has built.

He showed me a 5 shot 200 yard group that looked like a raged .30 call bullet hole. That group won him a 1,100.00 action.

I dropped off the action and he has started installing the wyatts box mag, blue printing it and lapping the lugs.

I will order the 338 Edge remer tomorrow.

Thanks again Jim for all your help and advise with this build. You started somthing very good with that sale, and at least two have benifited from it. gun)

Last edited:
DSC_1704.jpg

Here he is just back form the Gunsmith. I will be adding the check piece this weekend. Once all parts are here I will mount the Nightforce base, mount and level the temporary scope and use the 4 rounds of brass I have (the rest are on back order) to start load development.

That's one tuff lookin SMOKE POLE :D
please don't forget to post pics of the target....

Nice rifle

BigBuck

Bigbuck,

I will post everything and anything i do with this rifle while setting it up. I have wanted a 338 for over 10 years. I'm happy I was able to finally obtain one. I have gotten a lot of help from many of the LRH members and want to post and show the results of their help and advise. There area many people who are part of this rifle build, I do not want to forget them just cause I have me dream.

Still can't believe I have one.

Are you going to use the .338 ultra dies or did you get the edge dies ? i've herd you can make do with the .338 ultras .

BB

Bigbuck,

After speaking with a few people and reading Mr. Carlock's posts on the subject, I will be ordering dies in 338 Edge. Till i save the money needed for them my brother will let me use his. I want to get a die made for the specific round it was made for. I'm a little OCD that way. :) From what I learned this will avoid some issues down the road around the 4-6th realaoding....with the case not my OCD. HaHA

Bigbuck,

After speaking with a few people and reading Mr. Carlock's posts on the subject, I will be ordering dies in 338 Edge. Till i save the money needed for them my brother will let me use his. I want to get a die made for the specific round it was made for. I'm a little OCD that way. :) From what I learned this will avoid some issues down the road around the 4-6th realaoding....with the case not my OCD. HaHA

I agree . you've waited 10 years and from the looks of the rifle you didn't take the cheep route . so, why skimp on the dies:)

BB

Very nice looking rig. +1 on the Edge dies. Look forward to pics once you scope it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.