.338 berger ? again

Eric,

You may have increased your production capacity by 1000%, but your sales crew is doing even better than that! :D

Tell Bryan, Miche and Walt that I said howdy!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Thanks Kevin. I'm really proud of our team. Current and former members included. :) Miche is here and says "hello". Will do on the others.

Sniperjwt,

I also very much appreciate those who spread the word about our bullets. The words "Thank You" fail to communicate how much I appreciate the shooters all over the world who use Bergers and pass along their successes.

Eric

Last edited:
Re: custom .338's

I am shooting a .338 Edge with 250 and 300 gr SMK's. I have heard about custom made, perhaps lathe turned, very high bc bullets that some folks are shooting in the
bigger .338's, like the .338 Extreme or .338 KAM. Can anyone clue me in to where I
would be able to buy custom bullets like these. I think that much of the fantastic
reported ballistics of some of these huge cases may be due to the superior bullets, and
that the Edge might come close to those reported performances at a much lower cost and easier availibility if one could use those bullets.

Many thanks from an admirer of the many experts here.

Everyone is so excited waiting for the Berger 300gr. I decided to compare the 300 gr. SMK with the 300 Berger. I'm using G7 of 0.381 for the SMK and the designed G7 of 0.468 for the 300 Berger. Remember, this number is based on Berger's bullet design.

TRACK - 1 = 300 gr. Sierra Match King (SMK)
TRACK - 2 = 300 gr. Berger VLD

At 5000 ft elevation, standard conditions for that elevation.

Using Muzzle Velocities of 2800 ft/sec for both bullets.

The SMK will remain supersonic up to 2020 yards.
The Berger will remain supersonic up to 2480 yards.

Assuming they both will open up at 1700 ft/sec,
the SMK will have that velocity at 1185 yards and the Berger at 1455 yards.

Using a 10 mile/hr cross wind, at 1000 yards the VLD will be deflected 10" less than the SMK; and at 2500 yards the difference is a whopping 100 inches!!! Little over 8 feet.

Numbers you see in red means the bullet is subsonic.

m7f0xf.jpg

Last edited:
Eaglet,
Maybe I missed something but according to your graph and based on opening at 1,700fps to open the Berger has an effective range of 1400ish yards vs 2480 like you said. I think it's just a typo but I hope not :D

Thanks Kevin. I'm really proud of our team. Current and former members included. :) Miche is here and says "hello". Will do on the others.

Sniperjwt,

I also very much appreciate those who spread the word about our bullets. The words "Thank You" fail to communicate how much I appreciate the shooters all over the world who use Bergers and pass along their successes.

Eric

Yea i guess i really cant complain because it may be partly my fault that i cant find any Bergers since i have been telling everbody how good they are and that they need to start useing them:rolleyes: oh well what ya gonna do.

In resoponce to Eaglet: Thats why everyone is so excited about them:D

Eaglet,
Maybe I missed something but according to your graph and based on opening at 1,700fps to open the Berger has an effective range of 1400ish yards vs 2480 like you said. I think it's just a typo but I hope not :D

Thanks for the heads up! It's been corrected.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts