Berger 338!!!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 7mmrowland, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Well-Known Member

Has anybody heard yet on Bergers 338 Cal. bullets?:confused::confused::confused: I have bugged Eric at Berger a few times, waiting for someone else to do it.:D:D:D

2. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

Last I heard from Berger it was end of the year..... I'll be talking to them again shortly and will ask.

JeffVN

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

You had me excited, I though you might have had some in your hands. What a disappointment.:D

Surely Eric has enough people pestering him.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

My "feel" from visiting w/Eric is that I would expect just after the first of the year. Either way their release is imminent...

Just a note - a heavy 277 offering is just getting on the drawing boards. My guess, again, is it'll hit the mkt in about a year......

5. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

I look forward to the heavy 277s. I am truely impressed with Bergers. It will be interesting when the 338s re released with all of this anticipation. I hope they have made lots of them.

6. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Well-Known Member

I got a recent reply from Eric and he said around March is the month there shooting for. The bullets are going to be a 250 and 300 grs they will come in a tangent and secant profile and then a inbetweeny in both weights. Awesome can't wait.

7. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Well-Known Member

Any idea what barrel twist will handle them or what Berger recommends ?

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I'm bettin' a 10 twist will do it.

If not I'll just put a pipe wrench on the muzzle and increase it a bit.:)
    Oh crap, then the brake would need re-indexed.:(
    Ah Ha! a filed to fit washer could do the job. Whoo Hooo:D:D

9. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

I got an e-mail response from Eric @ Berger just yesterday, that 1:10 twist will work fine at 3200fps with the 300gr.

10. Ducce338LapuaMag

Ducce338LapuaMag New Member

Hello 7mmrowland
    I did get this answer from Eric 28 sept.2008 ;

Hello Torbjorn,

Please excuse my delay in responding to you email. The 338 cal machine is progressing but we are not close yet. 6 more months maybe.

Me to waiting ;)

11. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

trueblue,

Any indication if 10 twist will work for the 300g at 3K and below? Most of us won't be pushing it at 3200K, of course. I'm hoping that Berger would make the 300 work at lower velocities in a 10 twist.

12. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

jmden,

Eric stated that the 338 cal would be designed around a 10 twist barrel. I did not save the e-mail, so I am going by memory.

13. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

If in fact that is the case a 9.4 won't stabilize them under 3000 fps. Something sounds funny as there are only a fist full of rounds capable of this with a 300 grain bullet.

14. BryanLitz

BryanLitz <b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>

All of the Berger .338 bullets are designed to be stable in a 1:10" twist, at any reasonable speed (anything over 2200 fps muzzle velocity).

Another thread on this forum was asking about the BC of the Berger .338's. I've copied my reply here since some of the same questions were being asked, and you guys might find it useful:

I'll stick my neck out there and make an estimate.

These numbers are based on the dimensions of the bullets, and a database of information I've compiled that relates measured (tested) BC to bullet geometry. This method results in estimates that are typically within +/- 3% of the measured BC.

The BC's are average from 3000 to 1500 fps.

300 grain Tangent (non-VLD) ogive:
    estimated G1 BC: 0.749 lb/in^2
    estimated G7 BC: 0.384 lb/in^2

300 grain Secant (VLD) ogive:
    estimated G1 BC: 0.855 lb/in^2
    estimated G7 BC: 0.438 lb/in^2

For best results when doing trajectory calculations for these bullets, use the G7 BC if your program allows.

I'm very curious to test these bullets and see how accurate the estimates are.

-Bryan