Berger 338!!!

Here are a few emails I received from Mr Stecker in Sept. It looks like the actual production date has been delayed again.

Hello John,
The 338 cal is a big project for us since none of our current tooling can be used. I mention this because with so much tooling and the building of a longer stroke machine schedules are very tough to keep. We are working to get 338 cal on the shelf by the end of the year. Touch base with me in December to see how we are doing. When the time comes we will be announcing the need for testers through the forums and many have voiced an interest in being involved. Hopefully you are one of those who are selected.
then, later...

Unfortunately, I do not have good information to provide you because it is rare that the bullet made is close to the design and it can go in either direction. I can share with you that we plan on making three different shapes each in the 300 gr and 250 gr weights. There will be a tangent (Sierra like) bullet, a VLD and a new hybrid design. The bearing surface will be somewhere between .550 and .600 long. The nose will be anywhere from .900 to 1.000 long. This should get you some ballpark details that might help your riflesmith.

Regards,
Eric

Regards,

Eric Stecker
Thanks Eric...I am sure that helps a bit. Sounds quite long. Will a 1 in 10 twist stabilize it? John S

John,
The bullet were designed to shoot in a 10" twist.
Regards,Eric

6 new bullets! should nice when completed 30-338

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.