338 a square rechamber?... excalibur??

gsteve

Hi All... I have a sako m995 that was factory chambered in 338 lapua and chambered to a square because we couldn't get lapua ammo in canada for a while. I can't get a square brass now and never did like the belt. As far as i know the only round large enough to allow a rechamber without a tone of barrel cutting would be the excalibur? I know the excalibur is a waste of powder in my factory brl but i don't care. This rifle has sentimental value and i just want to be able to use it again.
PS i do have my name in at quality if the make a square brass.

what length and contour is your barrel could you not cut 1in of and chamber the 338 lapua again?

Most likely not since factory guns don't really have much for flats on them. The 378 Weatherby case is too long to allow you to set it back a turn or two also. It's 2.9" long versus 2.72" for the Lapua and the diameter at the shoulder is almost .020" bigger for the Weatherby case.

The base of the excaliber (.579) is smaller than both the 378 Weatherby case (.582) A-Square used and a 338 Lapua (.587"). If the barrel can be set back a thread or two then the original chamber should be small enough to allow for the excaliber reamer to clean it up.

Most likely not since factory guns don't really have much for flats on them. The 378 Weatherby case is too long to allow you to set it back a turn or two also. It's 2.9" long versus 2.72" for the Lapua and the diameter at the shoulder is almost .020" bigger for the Weatherby case.

The base of the excaliber (.579) is smaller than both the 378 Weatherby case (.582) A-Square used and a 338 Lapua (.587"). If the barrel can be set back a thread or two then the original chamber should be small enough to allow for the excaliber reamer to clean it up.

Thanks !!... This is the plan i hope to go with.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.