Creating a 180gn load, .338 excalibur

clyde09

Howdy Gents,

Bout two years ago I acquired a Ruger No. 1B in .338 win mag reamed out for a .338 Excalibur. A ridiculous amount of power in such a small lightweight package, I love it. Ive managed to get it to shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds and began loading 180gn accubonds to see how fast I could get 'em truckin. I realize the Excalibur was created to move a 200gn projectile at 3500f/s, but the idea of having a 180 moving a few hundred f/s faster is enticing. What Ive noticed going through multiple load manuals, is the other 338 mags have a slight charge increase when loaded with a 180gn compared to the 200gn. I'm sure y'all know the limited amount of data for the Excalibur, exclusively in A-Squares Manual. Due to the lack of information, Ive been loading the 180s with the data for the 200's. I'm gettin about 3615f/s average from them and I'm pretty happy about that. However when you look at Nosler's data for the 338-378, one of their hotter loads accomplishes the same velocity when the 338-378 only moves a 200gn at 3350f/s with a max charge. I know I'm probably treading on thin ice when I ask this, but can anyone give a rough estimate of velocity within the safe rage for a 180 from the Excalibur? Would anyone with a load creator program be willing to exchange a few emails with me concerning this? Ive calculated increase percentages from similar cartridges, attempted to calculate the estimated pressure increase per grain of powder, I suppose my best bet would be to buy a windows computer and run a load creator program.... I was just wondering if there was something I overlooked before I go do that. I'm shooting from a 26" barrel, and Id prefer not to make it over 30" in length. I get that its relatively unsafe, so nailing me to the wall is not necessary.

Thanks

Welcome to L R H !

You've already got the big stick, so just tread lightly.... Are you getting decent brass life and easy extraction?? If so, you are likely safe in your loading. If I don't have data for a cartridge/bullet/powder combo, I watch the brass life and extraction more than actual velocity. Wishing for a velocity and getting there safely are two entirely different things.

I ask though, why aren't you looking at bigger, high b.c. pills for that 338? My #1 in 338 win has a lot of trouble getting anything over 250 grains pushed hard enough to do well. I've actually settled on 225's as a best compromise. With the reamed out chamber in your #1, you ought to do very well accuracy wise with the 300 grain pills and have better long range performance to boot.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply,

I've only used A-Square and Quality Cartridge brass (I think Jameson is the only other manufacturer), I typically get upwards of 8 firings before the brass starts to fail, it'll stretch about .005-.007" per firing. Whether it be a factory A-Square load, a minimum charge by data or any load for that matter, its hard to extract. The only time I've experienced easy extraction was after the first firing of Quality Cartridge brass. I polish the brass after resizing, fired brass comes out of the chamber with very small abrasions all the way up to the shoulder, so I assume the chamber is still rough even after attempting to polish it up with a ball hone. I'm also seeing flattened primers from minimum charges, mild charges, and hot charges using Federal magnum match primers, and a safe ogive to lands distance. So I'm pretty dead in the water when it comes to watching for pressure sign.
As for my choice of bullet, I was looking to get some devastation within 600yds, more of a varmint load I suppose, the rifle is awful finicky with any load and anything outside that range I couldn't make a shot on with a clear conscious. I don't think the platform this cartridge is chambered in could fully take advantage of high b.c. projectiles. I will eventually re-barrel the thing, and at that point in time I'm sure I'll play with the heavier slugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.