325 WSM - Keep it or flip it?

Sometimes we have to come to the understanding that a particular cartridge may not be a 'long range' cartridge. No matter how much we twist and turn, or cobble together special loads, this cartridge may simply not measure up to the definition of 'long range'.

I have a 325 WSM set up in a 22" barrel which works quite well in the woods for intermediate range deer and elk hunting. For deer I load the Barnes 160 gr. TTSX which is outstanding performance-wise. For elk I move up to the Nosler AccuBond 200 gr. which is good out to about 750 yards based on energy requirements. These two loads are very accurate and perform as required.

But, if I know the area I'm headed to needs some ground covering velocity and remaining energy, I select another cartridge and rifle.

Sometimes we have to come to the understanding that a particular cartridge may not be a 'long range' cartridge. No matter how much we twist and turn, or cobble together special loads, this cartridge may simply not measure up to the definition of 'long range'.

I have a 325 WSM set up in a 22" barrel which works quite well in the woods for intermediate range deer and elk hunting. For deer I load the Barnes 160 gr. TTSX which is outstanding performance-wise. For elk I move up to the Nosler AccuBond 200 gr. which is good out to about 750 yards based on energy requirements. These two loads are very accurate and perform as required.

But, if I know the area I'm headed to needs some ground covering velocity and remaining energy, I select another cartridge and rifle.

I have been leaning towards keeping it and just using it for what it is and maybe down the road rebarreling it to a 300 Sherman Short Mag. I don't really love the scope I have on it now, maybe put a different optic on it and use it for elk and bear hunting on horseback. Right now I am pretty confident out to 800 and it sounds like it can get there. I do kind of like the look of confusion on peoples faces when I am asked what I am shooting and I tell them a 325 wsm. I like rounds that are different, I think I am going to need some time to get comfortable with wildcat cartridges. A rebarreling and conversion with this gun will be my goal down the road.

I have been leaning towards keeping it and just using it for what it is and maybe down the road rebarreling it to a 300 Sherman Short Mag. I don't really love the scope I have on it now, maybe put a different optic on it and use it for elk and bear hunting on horseback. Right now I am pretty confident out to 800 and it sounds like it can get there. I do kind of like the look of confusion on peoples faces when I am asked what I am shooting and I tell them a 325 wsm. I like rounds that are different, I think I am going to need some time to get comfortable with wildcat cartridges. A rebarreling and conversion with this gun will be my goal down the road.
While there are more powerful cartridges out there when it comes ot North American game the practical limit on the 325wsm is however far you can shoot it accurately for consistent first round hits. You might want to run the numbers and consider limiting it to 800 or so for the biggest game but it is highly capable round for just about anything within that range.

If there's a problem it's just in the fact that you are rather limited on high quality bullets in .325 but if you can find a good sub MOA load with what's available the rest doesn't matter all that much.

The problem I found with the 8mm bullets is the lack of good BC. The accubond best I found is a .450 BC which showed inconsistency passed 600yards. There are better bullets today but not sure the barrels have enough twist to take advantage of them.

But the reason I haven't rebarreled mine is it just flat out kills. I have shot lots of game with mine and it never failed. But I wouldn't push mine passed 600 yards.

I agree with OP 325 short mag is cool.

Last edited:
I will really stir the pot and throw something different at you.

You said you really liked the Coyote, you liked the action and the weigh
and your go to rifle is a 270 WSM. so why not re barrel the 325 to a 270 WSM with a High quality custom barrel of your choice of fluting and contour. Then build a long action of your choice in a 338 for those realy long shots.

The only issue that I have ever found wrong with the coyote is the factory barrel. (I have re barreled 6 for different friends that had poor to bad barrels). it would probably end up your first choice again and you already have lots of experience with the 270 WSM. and if you truly needed a back up capable of 1200 to 1500 yards you would have It.

Its only money ;)

J E CUSTOM

and your go to rifle is a 270 WSM. so why not re barrel the 325 to a 270 WSM with a High quality custom barrel of your choice of fluting and contour. Then build a long action of your choice in a 338 for those realy long shots.

The only issue that I have ever found wrong with the coyote is the factory barrel. (I have re barreled 6 for different friends that had poor to bad barrels). it would probably end up your first choice again and you already have lots of experience with the 270 WSM. and if you truly needed a back up capable of 1200 to 1500 yards you would have It.

Its only money ;)

J E CUSTOM
A bit of a side shot here but JE why don't we see more people just punching out an older barrel they like to a larger diameter and reusing them? This seems like a no brainer to me but I just don't see it being done.

I know a few guy sthat used to punch them out and replace the core with a rifled sleeve but I just don't see anyone out there simply moving up in caliber when a barrel has pretty well been shot out.

Its only money ;)

J E CUSTOM
I do have a man crush on the 270 wsm. My love for the round caught me a little off guard. I have had several different 7mm's 300's, including the 300 ultra mag (which going into that gun, I thought for sure it was going to be "the one"), but a couple years ago i bought that browning xbolt in 270 wsm and it has been awesome.

If I am being completely up front, I have never re barreled a rifle. If I can't get a gun to shoot well, I just kick it down the road. All of the rifles I own are factory, they are nicer factory rifles (Sendero SFII's, xbolt medallions, 5r gen 2), but far from custom. I do a lot of hunting, but don't shoot hundreds of rounds at the range every year, so I haven't shot a barrel out yet.

I have also never dabbled in custom rifles, if I am being honest that seems like a slippery slope and I am afraid it would be impossible for me to have just one custom gun, I would want 10 of them. And then I would have to top them all with $2500 optics... Would probably cost me my marriage etc. :).

Anyway, re-barreling my rifle is probably the answer, but it would be new territory for me.

The problem I found with the 8mm bullets is the lack of good BC. The accubond best I found is a .450 BC which showed inconsistency passed 600yards. There are better bullets today but not sure the barrels have enough twist to take advantage of them.

But the reason I haven't rebarreled mine is it just flat out kills. I have shot lots of game with mine and it never failed. But I wouldn't push mine passed 600 yards.

I agree with OP 325 short mag is cool.

Cutting Edge, Hammer and Peregrine (I always forget about them) all offer high BC hunting bullets in 8mm.

A bit of a side shot here but JE why don't we see more people just punching out an older barrel they like to a larger diameter and reusing them? This seems like a no brainer to me but I just don't see it being done.

I am not JE but since I have probably more experience actually making barrels and re-boring barrels, I thought it would be O.K. if I passed a thought along.

Re-boring an existing barrel relies on the fact that the steel used originally is as good as what we can get today. Factory barrels are not known for using the best steel of the best methods of creating the rifling. Fast, easy and cheap has always been the motto. Re-boring costs that same as buying a new barrel usually made from better steel and cut rifled. Then you have to lop off an inch from the muzzle and cut a new crown. You would be surprised at the number of factory barrels which get rejected by the companies which supply this service because it's a waste of money to try to get a good rifling job with any hope of accuracy as well.

Remember that when trying to pull up the bore size to proper diameter, you still need to have 0.150" per side or it's a no go for safety. Yes, I know some Weatherby factory barrels are less than this as original but I and the others aren't interested in law suits.

Another consideration is the barrel makers tooling when doing a re-bore. Carbon fouling, as you know, will put the hurt on any of the cutters used to create the new bore so the guys who re-bore examine the subject barrel carefully before accepting a project.

I do have a man crush on the 270 wsm. My love for the round caught me a little off guard. I have had several different 7mm's 300's, including the 300 ultra mag (which going into that gun, I thought for sure it was going to be "the one"), but a couple years ago i bought that browning xbolt in 270 wsm and it has been awesome.

If I am being completely up front, I have never re barreled a rifle. If I can't get a gun to shoot well, I just kick it down the road. All of the rifles I own are factory, they are nicer factory rifles (Sendero SFII's, xbolt medallions, 5r gen 2), but far from custom. I do a lot of hunting, but don't shoot hundreds of rounds at the range every year, so I haven't shot a barrel out yet.

I have also never dabbled in custom rifles, if I am being honest that seems like a slippery slope and I am afraid it would be impossible for me to have just one custom gun, I would want 10 of them. And then I would have to top them all with $2500 optics... Would probably cost me my marriage etc. :).

Anyway, re-barreling my rifle is probably the answer, but it would be new territory for me.
If you never get addicted to high volume shooting on things like pigs and prairie dogs you probably never will. It's hard for someone who does 90% of their shooting on game to ever burn one out.

Custom guns are addicting. I have a few and if I could afford it I'd have several more.

Right now I prefer variety over a handful so I'll keep sticking with higher end factory offerings and semi customs based off of them when they don't suit me.

I am not JE but since I have probably more experience actually making barrels and re-boring barrels, I thought it would be O.K. if I passed a thought along.

Re-boring an existing barrel relies on the fact that the steel used originally is as good as what we can get today. Factory barrels are not known for using the best steel of the best methods of creating the rifling. Fast, easy and cheap has always been the motto. Re-boring costs that same as buying a new barrel usually made from better steel and cut rifled. Then you have to lop off an inch from the muzzle and cut a new crown. You would be surprised at the number of factory barrels which get rejected by the companies which supply this service because it's a waste of money to try to get a good rifling job with any hope of accuracy as well.

Remember that when trying to pull up the bore size to proper diameter, you still need to have 0.150" per side or it's a no go for safety. Yes, I know some Weatherby factory barrels are less than this as original but I and the others aren't interested in law suits.

Another consideration is the barrel makers tooling when doing a re-bore. Carbon fouling, as you know, will put the hurt on any of the cutters used to create the new bore so the guys who re-bore examine the subject barrel carefully before accepting a project.
Thanks. I'm not really even thinking in terms of factory barrels other than the larger diameter bull magnum, varmint, and sendero contours and I'm thinking of 6, 6.5, 7mm's and .30's and of course nice custom barrels in the larger diameters.

I have a couple of very nice barrels that have been quite good to me ove the years that I've considered bumping up from 6.5, 7mm, .30 cal to 30 cal and .375.

In one case I may just try to step up from the existing .300 H&H to .300wm or .300 Rum but found it wasn't all that easy going from the H&H to the WM due to the differences in the belt end of the case. Taking that one up to the RUM or .375 Ruger just seems to make more sense otherwise it'll have to be set back at the shank end about 50/1000's to get past it. Going with the .300PRC would make more sense in some ways but then I have to add yet another caliber to laod for.

There are no cheap or easy solutions in this game no matter how we go it seems.

Cutting Edge, Hammer and Peregrine (I always forget about them) all offer high BC hunting bullets in 8mm.
I looked up Cutting Edge and they make a 225 gr bullet with a 0.64 bc, which is pretty awesome for an 8mm bullet. They make a 256gr as well, but thats a lot of bullet to Jam into the wsm case. Unfortunately, I can't find any online reviews from 325 wsm shooters.

I looked up Cutting Edge and they make a 225 gr bullet with a 0.64 bc, which is pretty awesome for an 8mm bullet. They make a 256gr as well, but thats a lot of bullet to Jam into the wsm case. Unfortunately, I can't find any online reviews from 325 wsm shooters.
You might look to see if there are any 8mm RM shooters out there publishing results with them. That's a pretty ideal casefor such a large bullet.

There is no doubt that a custom rifle is addicting and most people can't own just one, once they see the difference. To a casual user, a good factory rifle is more than enough if it meets his needs. To me I want the rifle to out shoot me every time. and I strive for the limits of accuracy even though at my age I will probably never be able to benefit from this accuracy.

There is something about working over a factory rifle or building one that lays down a 5 shot group less than 1/10th MOA even though that extreme accuracy is not necessary for most hunting situations.

A rare few factory rifles ever get this kind of accuracy but a custom barrel rifle, smith ed correctly can. you also don't have to spend a fortune to re barrel a factor rifle.

For many years I fought factory barrels trying to get extreme accuracy and only achieved it twice out of 75 to 1 hundred rifles. after the first re barrel, with a high end quality barrel. I never looked back because
they all shot good and some were phenomenal.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.