309 JDJ in a 14" pistol

guthy

I been thinking about getting another caliber for my TC Contender and I want something with good long range ability. I hunt in ND where it's pretty open and I want somthing capable to shoot out to 300 to 400 yards. This seems like a good choice to me. Just looking for some feed back on this or something better.

I have had a 309 JDJ for about 10 years. I have found that it is the only contender I shoot anylonger (I have a 375 and 416 JDJ also) I have taken deer and pronghorn out to 250 yards with it. On paper it shoots sub MOA out to 300 yards which is the longest I have ever shot it...ON PAPER. On an antelope hunt in WY. We shot a prarie dog town after taking out goats and we took turns with the 309 making hits out to nearly 500 yards with it, not consistantly because we were just guessing hold over and adjusting with each shot based on where the bullet impacted but the 309 is a great cartridge in the contender.

I shoot the 150g Ballistic tip and Accurate powder..It is a great combo. In a contender I dont think there is a better cartridge for long (for a pistol) range shooting and mild recoil.

Have been shooting one for some tine now. Sub MOA ,best with 150 or 165 Nosler BT's. I think max range on whitetails should be held to 300yds or less.

I probably wouldn't go more than 300 yards on a deer but I might try 400 to 500 on a yote or prairie dogs. Thanks to all who have chimed with feedback on my questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.